[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im more bothered by the houses all squished together like that than I am that ridiculous car
Our friends just sold their house like that for 3x what I paid for the current shitpile.

They had a bus stop in front of their house as a selling feature. The neighbors would have to walk down and they'd be earbuds in, face in their phone and they'd get in their car and have to blow their horn at people to get them to move.

Single family residences (the zoning for which is a legacy of racism and creates shitty less-livable suburban hellscapes) is unsustainable. Public transport is a boon, but rails are best.

SFR zoning exploded in popularity once they couldn't just explicitly deny black people housing. It requires and proritizes personal cars while punishing alternative transport. It's actually really nice to live somewhere where you don't have to drive 15min to buy a bag of chips.

Right now I’d settle for enough yard space I can send my kid out to play without having to take her to the park. I don’t have hours to spend at the park but she’d benefit from ours in the backyard.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers
Im more bothered by the houses all squished together like that than I am that ridiculous car
There are tons of developments around here with houses like that. Usually in the center of the development there is an apartment block, then those around it, then sorta normal single family home on the outskirts. It was super weird when I first moved here.

Our friends just sold their house like that for 3x what I paid for the current shitpile.

They had a bus stop in front of their house as a selling feature. The neighbors would have to walk down and they'd be earbuds in, face in their phone and they'd get in their car and have to blow their horn at people to get them to move.
My apartment was 3x the ones behind it cause the bus stop was out front.

I like my space without neighbors piled on top of me thank you very much. Wanting some privacy isnt racism.
Something like 3/4 is zoned solely SFR. If you read you'll see I said nothing about ownership of such homes, as you often don't have much of an option.

I like my space without neighbors piled on top of me thank you very much. Wanting some privacy isnt racism.
Given what's happening to housing prices, it's going to be less about racism in the future and more about classism.

Of course, since we're already a part of the landed gentry, we've got less to worry about than people like Hoggs. But we're racists anyway, for other reasons.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: fly
Our house is a piece of shit.... but it sits on land that is worth 4-5x the house value. I think our tax assessment is something like 15% house value, 85% land value

Our house is a piece of shit.... but it sits on land that is worth 4-5x the house value. I think our tax assessment is something like 15% house value, 85% land value
Do you have a cap on property tax increases year over year?

That's what's saved me so far - the taxed value can only increase by 3% Y-o-Y here, barring sale. If the house is sold, then the taxable value gets set to what it sold for (or some sort of market-assessed value, if you sold it under the market rate).

That's why my house is only taxed based on a value of 300k instead of its actual value (based on the fact that the house down the block with fewer square feet, an older roof, an ancient HVAC system and old single-glazed windows sold for $400k late last year, it's probably somewhat higher). I'm sure the house will eventually be taxed out of affordability for me, but I'm hoping that I'll have paid the thing off before then, and can subsist on only paying property tax.

trainwreck GIF

Do you have a cap on property tax increases year over year?

That's what's saved me so far - the taxed value can only increase by 3% Y-o-Y here, barring sale. If the house is sold, then the taxable value gets set to what it sold for (or some sort of market-assessed value, if you sold it under the market rate).

That's why my house is only taxed based on a value of 300k instead of its actual value (based on the fact that the house down the block with fewer square feet, an older roof, an ancient HVAC system and old single-glazed windows sold for $400k late last year, it's probably somewhat higher). I'm sure the house will eventually be taxed out of affordability for me, but I'm hoping that I'll have paid the thing off before then, and can subsist on only paying property tax.
we have something called a homestead credit for primary properties that you live on that offsets to a degree. My taxes have gone up over the years, but not painfully so. Roughly a 50% increase over 12 years. That sounds like a lot, but the county i live in has very low taxes in general.

Oddly, it doesnt actually reset on sale here unless you get an attorney to get it reset for you. That worked in my favor in 08, when the previously assessed at 600k value got reset to 250. Would be the opposite now.

Status
Not open for further replies.