[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Babe, not all of think losing our property is a valid past time.

Wife wants to do stuff with glass, I'm gonna roast metal.
Your wife will want one with elements in the lid. Glass needs to see the heat. Side element glass work is fraught with failure for most common activities other than casting. And digital controllers.
That is such a cool haul.

They are really quite safe other than people overloading the wiring in their house. The typical suggestion on the 'net is"get a bigger breaker" - obviously asking for a house fire. Everyone thinks breakers are to protect their toys.

sorry i don’t even know what kilns do lol
ok so you guys wanna have a small business on the side? that’s cool. KILN away!
make me something
Kilns are used in pottery, its basically a big ole oven.
You make a pot or a cup or an ashtray or whatever out of clay, and then you let it dry. At this point it is fairly hard but its brittle, if you squeeze it too much it will break, and if you get it wet it will fall apart. So then you "fire" the clay in a kiln. You put it in the kiln and set your temperature, it gets up to that temperature and holds there for however long you want, then you turn it off and let it cool. Now you have something that you can put in the dishwasher.
That's a kiln and what its used for. I'm going to be butchering the things and doing things that they weren't really meant for. She is going to be doing stuff closer to what they were normally used for, but still not clay work.

She wants to more approach what she's doing from the business side. I want to do what I'm doing because its cheaper than having someone else do what I want to do with the same stuff.

sorry i don’t even know what kilns do lol
ok so you guys wanna have a small business on the side? that’s cool. KILN away!
make me something
If they would've played out the rest of the potters wheel scene in Ghost, after they got done bumpin' uglies they would've put the vase or bowl or whatever in one of those kilns to finish it. Basically a super hot oven. Used for pottery, glass, can be modified to use for metal. Also a diy crematorium.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
Could probably rig a way to cast a lot of lead bullets as well, or at least use it to heat a lot of molds to even, precise temp.

If they would've played out the rest of the potters wheel scene in Ghost, after they got done bumpin' uglies they would've put the vase or bowl or whatever in one of those kilns to finish it. Basically a super hot oven. Used for pottery, glass, can be modified to use for metal. Also a diy crematorium.
Some people do one of those traveling dinners and everyone has cooked something in their kiln. Excellent temperature control. Makes a good coffee warmer but a VERY bad idea.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Some people do one of those traveling dinners and everyone has cooked something in their kiln. Excellent temperature control. Makes a good coffee warmer but a VERY bad idea.
Is that firebrick worth a lot of money?
Cause there's a thing where I might've fucked up/lost out a few years back. They feel really lightweight for their size compared to a regular brick, right?

Is that firebrick worth a lot of money?
Cause there's a thing where I might've fucked up/lost out a few years back. They feel really lightweight for their size compared to a regular brick, right?
The guys were saying that its about $5 per brick right now. On Amazon, a quick search showed $15 per. Might be a bulk rate thing going on there, but probably just Amazon prices and the supply chain being weird.

The guys were saying that its about $5 per brick right now. On Amazon, a quick search showed $15 per. Might be a bulk rate thing going on there, but probably just Amazon prices and the supply chain being weird.
Thanks.
Not too bad of a screwup then.
A few years ago the wife dragged home from somewhere 3 roughly 3ft. diameter "rings" of the stuff held together by what amounts to a giant hose clamp, like how wood barrel rings work, and a few loose extras from somewhere.
I figured it was from a kiln but not enough for a complete one.
Put them around the rose bushes to hold mulch and hold water so it soaks down instead of running away.
They're somewhat gone back to the earth now, most cracked, broken, missing, haha.

• Haha
Thanks.
Not too bad of a screwup then.
A few years ago the wife dragged home from somewhere 3 roughly 3ft. diameter "rings" of the stuff held together by what amounts to a giant hose clamp, like how wood barrel rings work, and a few loose extras from somewhere.
I figured it was from a kiln but not enough for a complete one.
Put them around the rose bushes to hold mulch and hold water so it soaks down instead of running away.
They're somewhat gone back to the earth now, most cracked, broken, missing, haha.
there's one like that in his picture. The sections make them easier to move and work on. Brick $5 to15. I usually buy a case of 12 so more like 5.

• Gravy
Some guy in australia hid in one duri g brush fires few years ago. He lived but everything else was toast.

• Gravy
there's one like that in his picture. The sections make them easier to move and work on. Brick $5 to15. I usually buy a case of 12 so more like 5.
Ya these were formed in a trapezoid shape, so for a certain diameter you'd add or remove layers vertically as needed.
At $5 per they're staying where they are.
At $15 per I might dig 'em up and see what's still intact :) .

These things have been on/in the ground for years. As light as they are they gotta be pretty porous. Throw them in a fire they'll probably explode.
Oh well, such is life.
Wouldn't be my first missed opportunity.
Won't be my last either.

• Gravy
These things have been on/in the ground for years. As light as they are they gotta be pretty porous. Throw them in a fire they'll probably explode.
Oh well, such is life.
Wouldn't be my first missed opportunity.
Won't be my last either.
They're overpriced shit. Probably cost $.50 to make. Yeah, they are soft, can cut with a hand saw no problemo. I chop those and pizza stones up like they were cheap pine. Modern hi-tech kilns are made of ceramic fiber. Super light, super clean, super efficient. Almost getting cheap enough to switch. But brick is sturdy - you stumble and you could put your hand through the lid of a fiber kiln.

• Gravy
211129264image000000.png

Status
Not open for further replies.