[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
From some cursory reading about Seattle a while back, a measurable amount. Isn't that Econ 101 though?

Cursory reading in Washington DC was that prices increased less than 10% for a 2X increase in minumum wage

Thats also econ 101, 10% increase across every item sold more than covers the 2x increase in workers pay because theres more sales than workers

e.g. Mcdonalds workers makes an additional 7.50 an hour. That worker processes 150 orders in that hour, each with a 10% increase in cost which roughly equates to .30-.50 cents per order. Mcdonalds not only replaces the 7.50 differential, but makes an additional 37 dollars in profit on top of it.

210903357IMG15891.jpg

From some cursory reading about Seattle a while back, a measurable amount. Isn't that Econ 101 though?
It might be Econ 101, if there weren't due diligence laws governing almost every transaction in addition to the large amount of rent-seeking behavior from monopolistic vendors.

Minimum wage in Utah is 7 something. If you offer less than 12 bucks an hour you have no employees because somewhere else will pay them that. At least here in St George. I imagine some of the more rural places can still get away with offering less.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon and Jehannum
Cursory reading in Washington DC was that prices increased less than 10% for a 2X increase in minumum wage

Thats also econ 101, 10% increase across every item sold more than covers the 2x increase in workers pay because theres more sales than workers

e.g. Mcdonalds workers makes an additional 7.50 an hour. That worker processes 150 orders in that hour, each with a 10% increase in cost which roughly equates to .30-.50 cents per order. Mcdonalds not only replaces the 7.50 differential, but makes an additional 37 dollars in profit on top of it.
Even in fast food, you're making a lot of assumptions there. And it affects *every* industry in the state. Obviously its much easier to absorb it if you're running on fat margins, but (I'm also guessing here) that's probably the exception not the rule.

Even in fast food, you're making a lot of assumptions there. And it affects *every* industry in the state. Obviously its much easier to absorb it if you're running on fat margins, but (I'm also guessing here) that's probably the exception not the rule.
From what I've read of DC he is correct on the price increases, so by being correct and quoting actual numbers I don't know what assumptions are being made?

Delineation between product oriented and service jobs. There are other jobs (warehouse worker) where the product can be increased in price (or shipping/handling), but there are also some, where there is no increase possible (construction/roadwork)

From what I've read of DC he is correct on the price increases, so by being correct and quoting actual numbers I don't know what assumptions are being made?
Is the 150 orders an hour a hard number? What if it turns out to be 60 (which is likely the best case scenario for someone working the drive thru)? Ouch. Or what about the guy that mops the floor? Or any other industry?

Is the 150 orders an hour a hard number? What if it turns out to be 60 (which is likely the best case scenario for someone working the drive thru)? Ouch. Or what about the guy that mops the floor? Or any other industry?
those were complete outta-my-ass numbers. But lets assume it was 60.

Thats dude at the drive through is still covering his own raise + raised for 1.2 other workers.

What’s to stop the US from just creating more money. I get that it devalues the dollar, but it would devalue it in the bottom’s favor. Reason I’m asking is, I do t know how that affects international trade. Probably poorly.

While I’m on it, the government is extra dumb for not having their own debit cards. We’ve been paying a private company to make money for a long time. We now have an easy solution for taking a lot of that profit burden off of the American people. We should take it.

IIRC, when they were contributing to the stae’s unemployment claims, they set the limits on who was eligible to receive it a lot of people got it who didn’t need it. It needed to go to people who would spend it and inject the economy resulting in jobs being kept, and a reverse to “trickle down” by the money making its way back to the “job creators” through spending by the masses. A lot of people were able to take Uncle Sam’s contribution and put it directly into their 401k, which isn’t what it was for.

Their reasoning for not setting the eligibility limits lower was that it would take too long to figure out who got it, and they needed to get the money out ASAP.

average number of employees working at any one time is 8 per labor statistics. So mickey d's has to make an additional 500 bucks a day to break even.

Average number of orders per day is 1581 (62,000,000 orders a day/ ~40k franchises)

So each order has to be 33 cents more expensive to break even.

While I’m on it, the government is extra dumb for not having their own debit cards. We’ve been paying a private company to make money for a long time. We now have an easy solution for taking a lot of that profit burden off of the American people. We should take it.

Which is why they want to privatize prisons, social security, and student loans. Lobbyists pay politicians good money to get control of those things to profit from it. Why let the government handle it cheaper when a private company can relieve them of the hassle for a little extra tacked on? And while the tacking is happening, a little palm greasing takes place and people get rich.

The FBI has a building that’s crumbling. There was a deal in place with a contractor who was going to build a new building in a different location in exchange for the old building and property it sits on. Sounds like a great deal, huh? Along comes Trump, who automatically kills the deal because the contractor intended to build a new hotel where the crumbling FBI building still sits to compete directly with Trump’s “post office” hotel in DC.

The FBI is till in the crumbling building, and Trump is still profiting from his DC hotel nicely. Politics and lobbying is nasty business.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
What’s to stop the US from just creating more money. I get that it devalues the dollar, but it would devalue it in the bottom’s favor. Reason I’m asking is, I do t know how that affects international trade. Probably poorly.

not dumb, corrupt.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
If minimum wage went up to $20/hr, prices would have to go up to cover those costs. Guess who those price increases are going to hurt most? You guessed it, the people making 'only' $20/hr.

The only reason prices would raise is because the profiteers want the profit more than they want other people to eat. So, we are in agreement.

Which is why they want to privatize prisons, social security, and student loans. Lobbyists pay politicians good money to get control of those things to profit from it. Why let the government handle it cheaper when a private company can relieve them of the hassle for a little extra tacked on? And while the tacking is happening, a little palm greasing takes place and people get rich.

The FBI has a building that’s crumbling. There was a deal in place with a contractor who was going to build a new building in a different location in exchange for the old building and property it sits on. Sounds like a great deal, huh? Along comes Trump, who automatically kills the deal because the contractor intended to build a new hotel where the crumbling FBI building still sits to compete directly with Trump’s “post office” hotel in DC.

The FBI is till in the crumbling building, and Trump is still profiting from his DC hotel nicely. Politics and lobbying is nasty business.
the J. Edgar Hoover building is a giant piece of shit (and in a lousy location for a workforce to commute to). I was looking forward to that being moved, but no dice.

The top ten in this one:

A return on investment? California has between the fifth and sixth largest economy in the world. Without their input, the US would rank somewhere around Bolivia on the economic contribution table:

IIRC, when they were contributing to the stae’s unemployment claims, they set the limits on who was eligible to receive it a lot of people got it who didn’t need it. It needed to go to people who would spend it and inject the economy resulting in jobs being kept, and a reverse to “trickle down” by the money making its way back to the “job creators” through spending by the masses. A lot of people were able to take Uncle Sam’s contribution and put it directly into their 401k, which isn’t what it was for.

Their reasoning for not setting the eligibility limits lower was that it would take too long to figure out who got it, and they needed to get the money out ASAP.
That’s why I spent my stimulus check on construction even though I didn’t need to. I wanted to save it but it’s still a win for me cause I improved the value of my home and the kids got a cool swing set. Now my contractor can buy other stuff and literally multiple the value of the stimulus.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Status
Not open for further replies.