Think we will ever discover intelligent, alien life?

FancyVest

Flaccid Member
Dec 9, 2008
Marklar
₥0
I don't. I think even if there IS an alien civilization out there, space is so big that there is little likelyhood of us crossing paths.

I'm still looking for semi-intelligent life during my workdays here on earth.

I have no doubts there are aliens somewhere in the universe but I doubt we'll see them in my life time.

Chances are that the first intelligent life form we discover we won't ever recognize it as being such, and will promptly wipe them out so we can build condos.

Yes, I do think we will eventually meet another species of intelligent life. I'm 30/70 on if we will survive the encounter, however.

Im confident that there are other intelligent life forms out there someplace, but the chances of our crossing paths with them are pretty slim, Id think. The universe is a big place.

I don't. I think even if there IS an alien civilization out there, space is so big that there is little likelyhood of us crossing paths.

imho, its likely that intelligent life lives in our own galaxy, which should make them "easy" to find. The chances are good that in the next thousand years we'll discover many new species. All "life" requires here is water.
* We've found other stars similar to our sun.
* We've found Earth sized planets orbiting other stars.
* We've found water on multiple planets and moons in our solar system.

All we have yet to find is how to cheat the speed of light. Once you do that, you can dot the galaxy with radio receivers and just wait.

Oh Boy, don't get me started as this has been a topic I've spent quite a bit of brainpower on the last couple of months.
Suffice it to say, if we are not the ONLY intelligent species is the Universe, I certainly hope that at this time we are the most advanced. Or that we achieved intelligence/sentience first. Think Spaniards/Conquistadors in Central and South America - we see how well that worked out for the natives.

Given the size and age of the Universe, it has been speculated that outside of our Solar system their should, in theory at least, be other intelligent life forms out there. See Fermi's Paradoxhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Currently we peg the age of the Universe around 10 Billion years old and our little local solar system is around 6 billion years old. Given the age of the Universe, even with out Faster than light travel, we should see or hear something from other intelligent life forms.

I could talk about this for hours, but like I said before i hope were the first, because otherwise, we are FUCKED.

Oh Boy, don't get me started as this has been a topic I've spent quite a bit of brainpower on the last couple of months.
Suffice it to say, if we are not the ONLY intelligent species is the Universe, I certainly hope that at this time we are the most advanced. Or that we achieved intelligence/sentience first. Think Spaniards/Conquistadors in Central and South America - we see how well that worked out for the natives.

Given the size and age of the Universe, it has been speculated that outside of our Solar system their should, in theory at least, be other intelligent life forms out there. See Fermi's Paradoxhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Currently we peg the age of the Universe around 10 Billion years old and our little local solar system is around 6 billion years old. Given the age of the Universe, even with out Faster than light travel, we should see or hear something from other intelligent life forms.

I could talk about this for hours, but like I said before i hope were the first, because otherwise, we are FUCKED.

iirc, its actually about 14 billion years, but whatev. Hearing them is a big problem. I don't even think our nearest star system can hear us yet...

iirc, its actually about 14 billion years, but whatev. Hearing them is a big problem. I don't even think our nearest star system can hear us yet...

I was going off the top of my head in regards to our age, but once you get past a billion years it's all kinds of relative isn't? Suffice it to say, the observable Universe is fucking old when compared to the amount of time Homo-Sapien-Sapien has been around. Or even compared to the age of the earth.

And yes, our nearest star system has been in range of our radio waves for quite some time now. Alpha Centauri is about 4 light years away, radio waves travel at the speed of light, so in theory, the Alpha Centaurians should be watching the first season of Lost about now.