There is an inverse correlation between religiosity and intelligence.

But that doesn't mean the probability of His existence is 50/50 either...
There are no purely deterministic systems. This is why philosophers are now going on projects with physicists.

I don't even care about the meta-study mentioned. I'd like to see some of the actual studies (well at least a synopsis anyway, I'd leave the entire study for FG to read...)
Let's remember something very basic: correlation is a linear relationship between two random variables. There is a lot else that influences religion and lack thereof than 'intelligence' (of which IQ is even a questionable measure of). I can think off the top of my head that it's more than likely there are other factors in these little studies, e.g. one demographic will skew results, like the sort of people who have IQ tests done...

Last edited:
we have a mathematical formulation around the office that concludes users intelligence is inversely proportional to the amount of religious material they have pinned up around their cube.

We have found this equation to be true more often than not. The ones with prayers pinned up all over the place and statues of the virgin mary are bat shit insane and need their hand held with even the simplest of tasks.

we have a mathematical formulation around the office that concludes users intelligence is inversely proportional to the amount of religious material they have pinned up around their cube.

We have found this equation to be true more often than not. The ones with prayers pinned up all over the place and statues of the virgin mary are bat shit insane and need their hand held with even the simplest of tasks.

:fly: There are people that take religion to the next level. A level most people see it as the crazy level.

Not all Mexicans need their hand held

I'm not going to get terribly involved in this thread, but I will say this: There are more idiots in the world than "smart" people, far more, and there are just as many of them that believe in evolution as there are that believe in God.

Not all Mexicans need their hand held

Some do.

fun21.jpg

I'm not a fan of organized religion. More wars have been fought due to religion than anything else.

But that doesn't mean the probability of His existence is 50/50 either...
I'm not suggesting it is. You can't assign probability to the existence of a higher power. Again, the very concept superscedes all science.
I don't even care about the meta-study mentioned. I'd like to see some of the actual studies (well at least a synopsis anyway, I'd leave the entire study for FG to read...)
I do. If you're going to make the claim like that to have everyone rally around it'd be nice if this study was actually done properly...or better yet actually existed and wasn't just the product of a bunch of tree-hugging atheists that are just as likely to be wiccan and call islam a religion of peace.
God of the Gaps...
Jeff, God of Biscuits.

I'm not suggesting it is. You can't assign probability to the existence of a higher power. Again, the very concept superscedes all science.

No probability? Are you saying it supersedes all logic? :lol:

I do. If you're going to make the claim like that to have everyone rally around it'd be nice if this study was actually done properly...or better yet actually existed and wasn't just the product of a bunch of tree-hugging atheists that are just as likely to be wiccan and call islam a religion of peace.

Jeff, God of Biscuits.

Aren't the studies it's studying more important? :confused:

No probability? Are you saying it supersedes all logic? :lol:
Of course. That's the whole idea behind an omnipotent supreme being. Yes, this higher power can microwave a burrito so hot even he couldn't eat despite being powerful enough to eat a burrito of any temperature. Why? Because omnipotent means all powerful. He doesn't have to obey the laws of physics or even our understanding of logic because we can't possibly comprehend the realities of his existence. If this being is truly all powerful then he created the very concepts of logic as we understand them and can break them whenever he wants.

That's the whole basis of God.
Aren't the studies it's studying more important? :confused:

wha?

Of course. That's the whole idea behind an omnipotent supreme being. Yes, this higher power can microwave a burrito so hot even he couldn't eat despite being powerful enough to eat a burrito of any temperature. Why? Because omnipotent means all powerful. He doesn't have to obey the laws of physics or even our understanding of logic because we can't possibly comprehend the realities of his existence. If this being is truly all powerful then he created the very concepts of logic as we understand them and can break them whenever he wants.

That's the whole basis of God.
Okay, so long as we agree that God is totally illogical. :D

The OP was in regards to a group analysis of 43 studies. I'd rather find out about the original studies than what this guy said about them personally.

Okay, so long as we agree that God is totally illogical. :D
Not necessarily illogical but not constrained by our understanding of logic.
The OP was in regards to a group analysis of 43 studies. I'd rather find out about the original studies than what this guy said about them personally.
Ah ok. Yeah, I agree.

Either way, a correlation between religiosity and intelligence doesn't make much of a difference because the vast majority of the American population has some form religion. Three quarters identifies itself as Christian and so many atheist liberals are completely ignorant of what the first amendment actually means. You'll attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

Complain all you want about religious people pushing their beliefs on you but this country was founded by Christians and remains primarily a Christian nation. Then again the only thing worse than a tyranny of a minority by a majority is tyranny of a majority by a minority. Learn to compromise and be respectful of the beliefs of others and you might have better luck in retaining your ability to kill a fetus.

A wise man once said: "the mob isn't usually in the habit of electing ungodly apostates who denegrate people of faith."

Last edited:
I'm not going to get terribly involved in this thread, but I will say this: There are more idiots in the world than "smart" people, far more, and there are just as many of them that believe in evolution as there are that believe in God.
the study wasn't about evolution vs God. It was just about belief in God. All it said was that smart people are less likely to believe in God.

It didn't say that people who believe in God are stupid.

It didn't say that people who are stupid believe in God.

It didn't say that nonbelievers are smart.

It did say if you are smart then there's a good chance you're a nonbeliever.

We should all avoid trying to draw too many conclusions from one statistic.

Last edited:
Either way, a correlation between religiosity and intelligence doesn't make much of a difference because the vast majority of the American population has some form religion.

If we were to assume of a moment that the correlation was true, I would think the finding is HUGELY important to the country. Do you want smart people or dumb people running your country?

Three quarters identifies itself as Christian and so many atheist liberals are completely ignorant of what the first amendment actually means.

Well there was a completely random and totally pointless rant. :clap:

If we were to assume of a moment that the correlation was true, I would think the finding is HUGELY important to the country. Do you want smart people or dumb people running your country?
I want ethical people running the country. Again, being smart does not mean someone is less likely to decieve.
Well there was a completely random and totally pointless rant. :clap:

Random, yes, but the point still stands. Whiny atheists get pissed off when reminded that the first amendment does not prevent the legislature from passing laws rooted in their faith.

Do not pretend that this isn't the underlying point of this entire thread. You don't like christianity because christians impose their beliefs on you. Fine, I agree. But they still have the authority to do so and some people just can't get that through their skulls so they bitch and moan about how stupid churchgoers are.