The Vendee Globe has begun!

with the amount of shit they must go through I'd take as many hulls as possible...better stability +++
better initial stability, but a monohull will most likely keep rolling once it gets flipped and wind up rightside up again. multihulls turtle and stay that way since it's ultimately the most stable position for them. (monohulls have that big lead keel on the bottom that makes them happier rightside up, despite how big the mast looks)

wtf,

they even charge you money for offline heading changes and automatic sail adjustment.

weak.

My schooner is going to crash into the northern coast of portugal, because I'm not gonna bother logging back in.

you have to register...I hate that
can't I just play your game without being put on a perrier mailing list??
well, the game lasts months. they need to keep track somehow.
wtf,

they even charge you money for offline heading changes and automatic sail adjustment.

weak.

My schooner is going to crash into the northern coast of portugal, because I'm not gonna bother logging back in.
around alone... unless you have money to pay crew. i consider the paying to be a bit lame, but at least most of the game is free. it's like you just have to pay for the full version.

I would love to crash into portugal...I would never come back

Meh, if the wind were any different, I'd probably be able to sail a bit further. As it is, tacking into a headwind leaves me little choice.

I'd much rather crash into greece or cyprus.

I guess portugal would be okay, but I know so little about it.

32 hours into the race now, and 7 boats have had to turn back to address various problems, including at least one that was dismasted. it's a bitch starting in the middle of a big storm.

The 2008 Vendee Globe race has begun. It is an around-the-world non-stop solo sailboat race. The means one person sails their boat (typically 60') from France, down the Atlantic, West under The Cape of Good Hope, under Australia, under Cape Horn, then back up the Atlantic to France without stopping and without any outside assistance at all... and it's a race. Sailing is massively popular in France so they are overrepresented as usual, but there is one American skipper this year. You can follow the race here:

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/

These races always remind me of the Robin Lee Graham story. I can remember reading the book as a kid.