"The number one job is selling ice desserts and the number two is being a doctor"

itburnswhenipee

Lonestar
May 25, 2005
Maryland
Marklar
₥797
So, this article descrbes the actions of a man in Tiwan who has made a successful business out of selling frozen desserts made from seafood.

Hsueh's "Dr. Ice" brand offers ice cream, "snowflake ice" (shaved ice) and "bubble ice" (thinly shaved ice) made from shrimp, cuttlefish, tuna, seaweed and laver (purple seaweed) combined with fruits, mint, wasabi, peanut and wine.

Now, this isn't the important thing. We can all post "yuck" and "eww" and nostalgic references to that avacado ice cream thread and that barfing smiley and numerous sly references to Monty Python's 'Whizzo Chololate' sketch later.

The important thing is this line:
Hsueh was also encouraged by an old Taiwanese saying which goes, "The number one job is selling ice desserts and the number two is being a doctor".

There are several things wrong with this statement, but I choose to focus on only one. Namely, what the hell kind of whacked out culture exists in Tiwan for such a statement to be repeated frequently enough to become an 'old saying'? How does this happen? Do they combine their medical schools with ice cream factories? Does the Tiwanese government imbue all frozen confections with a powerful mind control drug? How the fuck does this happen?

itburnswhenipee said:
There are several things wrong with this statement, but I choose to focus on only one. Namely, what the hell kind of whacked out culture exists in Tiwan for such a statement to be repeated frequently enough to become an 'old saying'? How does this happen? Do they combine their medical schools with ice cream factories? Does the Tiwanese government imbue all frozen confections with a powerful mind control drug? How the fuck does this happen?
I think its just a bad translation. The real meaning is, "The best job is iced squid, but it take a doctor to remove it."

example of seafood dessert:
capt.jpg