Food The (not so) delicious food thread

So a few people here at the campground randomly brisket at costco, and swung by asking if they could use my smoker for it.

Yup, I guess I'm a barbecue consultant now.

• Haha
  • Gravy
Reactions: tre and fly
Off we go.

Chunk of 4x4 is holding the door handle shut because the thing's like 20 years old and Cajun Bandit still doesn't have their WSM doors back in stock.

PXL_20230810_122400914.jpg

Well the campground is next to an apple orchard, and the boys decided "lets go get some apple wood" and threw a bunch in, on top of the couple fist sized chunks of maple and apple I had in there already.

She's gonna be smoky!

End result!

The night before, I had them cut it in half and cover it in montreal steak spice. I forgot to tell them to trim it, but they did that while I got the smoker fired up.

Had them check the temperature throughout the cook, foil it when it stalls which it did around 160, take the foil off at 190, take it off the smoker at 205 or "probe tender". They didn't let it rest before they cut into it, which is about the only sin. But I can't blame them because it was late and they were hungry, briskets take longer to cook than they thought I guess.

Smoky as fuck, as expected because of all the apple wood they added, like it's been hours and I'm still tasting smoke. But it wasn't inedibly smoky or anything at all. But overall... for a bunch of yahoos who have never smoked meat before, let alone a brisket, they did a damn good job. I'm kinda proud.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers