Ontopic The new car-seching thread

The 2.0 FSI/TFSI engines up until about '2014 were garbage.

Timing chain tensioner was a major problem with them. They were oil-pressurized and oil bakes in the passage that feeds it and clogs the thing up, and it loses tension and jumps timing. If you're lucky it'll jump one tooth, drive like utter hit and throw a bunch of error codes, beyond that it's valves kissing pistons. There's an improved tensioner design that drops into them that uses a spring instead.

Second problem was the high pressure fuel pump, which ran off the camshaft. And a follower on the pump shaft was made out of soft shitty metal and would wear through, the fuel pump shaft then eats into the cam and fucks both cam and pump.

Both of those problems have been taken care of in the current 2.0 TFSI.

Third common issue is there's a plastic thermostat housing which is known to crack and fail. I've still got an extended warranty on the Q5 so I'm not worried about it yet, but once the warranty's up I'll probably buy a metal housing and throw it in.

Coworker in June: My other car is in the shop for timing chain stuff.

Me: Audi?

CW: VW CC, Audi engine. It's great, just getting the kinks worked out.

CW today: . . . my CC . . .

Me: I haven't seen that thing yet.

CW: I had it for a bit but it's in the shop again for engine stuff. I'm selling that piece of shit as soon as I can.
There's a list of about 10 things that reliably go wrong with the AAN 2.2L turbo 5. Mostly they boil down to "hey, why the fuck you using plastic here?", and I've replaced all of them with billet aluminum or new.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Still enjoying a smooth ride in my Buick over here. Don't have to spend weekends with a tig welder or nothin, just drive it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
@Jehannum

wj2ibv6juof61.jpg

I mostly drive mine too.
Sometimes I push. It is a KIA after all.
It's to be expected. I bet ya if I looked, there's a few pages that cover it in the manual.

• Gravy
I mostly drive mine too.
Sometimes I push. It is a KIA after all.
It's to be expected. I bet ya if I looked, there's a few pages that cover it in the manual.

Used to have a 96 Kia sephia I got 250k or a little more out of. Not too bad. it climbed pikes peak.
Dragged it home off the side of the road with about half that mileage on it and a bad water pump for $600. Dude thought it was fucked I guess but it didn't overheat bad enough to do any real damage.

Rented some bigger model Kia I can't remember the model name for a cross country trip once. That was a really comfortable and nice driving ride.

I don't think they're bad cars. Don't have any brand prestige or anything but seem to be fairly reliable, practical, economical.

The motor in that 96 looked real similar to a Toyota. Didn't share the exact same parts but I think they might've borrowed a fair bit from a Corolla as far as how things were put together.

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
One time that Kia was parked in the yard and her little dog was going nuts over a squirrel that was up in the tree chattering and taunting her, so every once in awhile I'd toss a rock up there to make the squirrel run around to flip out the dog.
One of my tosses with about a baseball size rock skipped off a limb at just the right angle to bounce sideways and come down smashing through my own back car window.
Sometimes you just gotta laugh at yourself.

Note: a white kitchen trash bag filters out the white car headlights at night. All you can see in the rearview is the orange lights.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
Used to have a 96 Kia sephia I got 250k or a little more out of. Not too bad. it climbed pikes peak.
Dragged it home off the side of the road with about half that mileage on it and a bad water pump for $600. Dude thought it was fucked I guess but it didn't overheat bad enough to do any real damage.

Rented some bigger model Kia I can't remember the model name for a cross country trip once. That was a really comfortable and nice driving ride.

I don't think they're bad cars. Don't have any brand prestige or anything but seem to be fairly reliable, practical, economical.

The motor in that 96 looked real similar to a Toyota. Didn't share the exact same parts but I think they might've borrowed a fair bit from a Corolla as far as how things were put together.
Back then Hyundai was licensing engine tech from Mitsubishi and sometimes just using straight up Mitsubishi engines in their cars. if this was prior to Hyundai purchasing Kia then who knows.

• Gravy
Back then Hyundai was licensing engine tech from Mitsubishi and sometimes just using straight up Mitsubishi engines in their cars. if this was prior to Hyundai purchasing Kia then who knows.

Giggle says Kia first sold here in 94 and Hyundai bought them in 98.

One time that Kia was parked in the yard and her little dog was going nuts over a squirrel that was up in the tree chattering and taunting her, so every once in awhile I'd toss a rock up there to make the squirrel run around to flip out the dog.
One of my tosses with about a baseball size rock skipped off a limb at just the right angle to bounce sideways and come down smashing through my own back car window.
Sometimes you just gotta laugh at yourself.

Note: a white kitchen trash bag filters out the white car headlights at night. All you can see in the rearview is the orange lights.

They use thin glass, I swear.
I cracked the windshield using the defroster one morning. It was extremely cold but that has never happened to me before.

They use thin glass, I swear.
I cracked the windshield using the defroster one morning. It was extremely cold but that has never happened to me before.

On mine the dash started curling up and back towards you from the front edge by the windshield. I guess they didn't consider cars can cook at 130-140F inside half the year some places.

After it got bad enough I just cut that part off it so the defrosters could hit the window.

On mine the dash started curling up and back towards you from the front edge by the windshield. I guess they didn't consider cars can cook at 130-140F inside half the year some places.

After it got bad enough I just cut that part off it so the defrosters could hit the window.

While they were replacing the engine in my Forte, they gave me an Optima as a loaner. I liked it. Nice smooth ride. Power seemed adequate for a going to work vehicle. I just don't know if I trust them when it comes time for another car.
Meh, we'll see.

• Gravy
This redneck radiator repair worked.
You know it worked because I would not have posted it here for ridicule had it not worked. Hehe.

Attachments

• 20210206_165855(1)_resize_99.jpg
    20210206_165855(1)_resize_99.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210206_165917(1)_resize_54.jpg
    20210206_165917(1)_resize_54.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 5