Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

When Shitfuck Solar LLC came out on Monday they were talking to the "Deputy Director of Engineering", a guy who had come out initially for the quote, did the system design, and who the crew was talking to when they were here, about the fucking padlock I mentioned over a month ago.

So I e-mail yesterday to ask about the inspection, and I get an e-mail back from one of the co-founders copying the newly hired, as of January, Head Of Residential Installs.

Seems the Deputy guy is "No longer with the company".

He's the guy who also left the solar system on past the testing phase and got the padlock put on their in the first place.

oops.

• Sad
Reactions: wetwillie
Well, wtf. My sink aerators/washer fill line filter/etc all have started clogging with what I can only describe as organic material.

Its a closed loop system....

300ft deep well > 25 feet of poly line > well pressure tank > house lines.

I expect the hot water tank has a bunch of this gunk in the bottom too.

Where the hell is organic matter coming from though. Ill pop the well head tomorrow and check that nothing has invaded the casing and is growing down (roots, etc), but other than that i cant imagine where this stuff would get into the system. Crack in the poly supply line maybe? but then id be leaking and would have a soggy lawn

Theres plumbing on the right so I was limited to where I can run wires and mount shit.

And the doors open fully.

Also, I don’t give a fuck.
Acoustically it's probably better if it's not perfectly even anyway. Professional studios are built uneven purposefully. The college I went to for music actually had a studio built and were pissed when the blueprints were "corrected".

• Love
Reactions: HipHugHer
Something went down the well I guess?

I'd add a cheap foam-cartridge sediment filter between your pressure tank and the rest of your house, to catch this in case it happens again. Plus it'll catch sediment.

Something went down the well I guess?

I'd add a cheap foam-cartridge sediment filter between your pressure tank and the rest of your house, to catch this in case it happens again. Plus it'll catch sediment.
I have no sediment, literally none. But yeah, im guessing something wormed its way into the well head.

Today's fuckery: gee fixes his furnace!

I've got oil-fired hydronic heat in the house, and hot water comes from a tankless coil in the boiler.

I lost hot water because my thermonic valve seized up, hauled the core out of it and it was full of sediment. So I figured the whole thing was probably full of sediment, so I took everything apart, flushed the tankless coil with water followed by vinegar, cleaned up the valve, threw everything back together... yay, hot water again.

A few hours later, my circulating pump dropped dead. The thing normally runs 24/7 and I guess it didn't like being turned off for a few hours. So now I don't have hot water OR heat, and I gotta get up early and head into Halifax and find myself a circulator pump :/

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Today's fuckery: gee fixes his furnace!

I've got oil-fired hydronic heat in the house, and hot water comes from a tankless coil in the boiler.

I lost hot water because my thermonic valve seized up, hauled the core out of it and it was full of sediment. So I figured the whole thing was probably full of sediment, so I took everything apart, flushed the tankless coil with water followed by vinegar, cleaned up the valve, threw everything back together... yay, hot water again.

A few hours later, my circulating pump dropped dead. The thing normally runs 24/7 and I guess it didn't like being turned off for a few hours. So now I don't have hot water OR heat, and I gotta get up early and head into Halifax and find myself a circulator pump :/
proof that power cycles are the most damaging thing around

@Domon you don’t have a sediment filter between your well pump and tank?
do not. Ill be installing a spin down when i get a chance to avoid shit like this, its just confusing to me how organic matter, and pretty recent stuff since its not rotted, would get in the system

do not. Ill be installing a spin down when i get a chance to avoid shit like this, its just confusing to me how organic matter, and pretty recent stuff since its not rotted, would get in the system

Something is building a home in your well.

A simple sediment filter goes a long way. And is pretty cheap and easy to maintain.

Last edited:
Just did the whole song and dance of showing up at a wholesaler, "we don't sell to the public", calling a random heating company they supply, paying them over the phone, them calling the wholesaler, and me walking out with the pump.

Didn't have an exact replacement, new one is a 3 speed, but that's a good thing.

Yay I have hot water again.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138