Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Well b'ys, I'm officially homeless.

Handed over the keys to our house today, moving into the new place on Dec 19. Staying in our friend's parents' place who are snowbirding it down to Florida for the winter.
Darth would have let you stay at the cabin.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and nukes
Well b'ys, I'm officially homeless.

Handed over the keys to our house today, moving into the new place on Dec 19. Staying in our friend's parents' place who are snowbirding it down to Florida for the winter.
Do we need to bring our favorite sammich smuggler in for a primer on squatting?

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Bought the last 3 Ecobee 3 Lite's that Best Buy had, $69 CAD/pop after the provincial smart thermostat rebate. Need one more, plus a 'good' ecobee 3 or 4 (no deals on those anywhere for black friday as far as I could tell), to complete the set.

House has 5 zones of in-floor hot water radiant heat + a HRV for air circulation + a ductless heat pump that overlaps one of the zones. Still trying to figure out how I'm gonna hook all of this stuff up.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Bought the last 3 Ecobee 3 Lite's that Best Buy had, $69 CAD/pop after the provincial smart thermostat rebate. Need one more, plus a 'good' ecobee 3 or 4 (no deals on those anywhere for black friday as far as I could tell), to complete the set.

House has 5 zones of in-floor hot water radiant heat + a HRV for air circulation + a ductless heat pump that overlaps one of the zones. Still trying to figure out how I'm gonna hook all of this stuff up.

are the heated floors just on-off? If they are, would you ever run some of them on and some of them off? I wonder if it would be best to just gang them all together rather than having 17 different therms

I have about 5 breakers that I have no clue what they go to. And a 6th that is for the water heater I need to figure out which it is. I'll just see if I get a cold shower in the morning.

There's two 220 plugs that don't work as far as I know. A door bell that doesn't work. And there used to be a baseboard heater in ever room. There's also a light switch that I have no clue about. An outlet that doesn't work and a light-switch/outlet combo that the light works on but the outlet doesn't. Also one of the breakers is tripped and won't untrip.

I'm to the point where I am going to turn every breaker off I'm unsure about and only worry about it if something I need is no longer working. There are no labels on anything. I don't know how these people functioned.

I have about 5 breakers that I have no clue what they go to. And a 6th that is for the water heater I need to figure out which it is. I'll just see if I get a cold shower in the morning.

There's two 220 plugs that don't work as far as I know. A door bell that doesn't work. And there used to be a baseboard heater in ever room. There's also a light switch that I have no clue about. An outlet that doesn't work and a light-switch/outlet combo that the light works on but the outlet doesn't. Also one of the breakers is tripped and won't untrip.

I'm to the point where I am going to turn every breaker off I'm unsure about and only worry about it if something I need is no longer working. There are no labels on anything. I don't know how these people functioned.

grab a probe style electric tester and an outlet tester.

It’ll help to see if any random shit is live.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
Found one. The stove is on two different 50 amp breakers. One just controls the lights which seems odd to me because it's 50 amps.

Found one. The stove is on two different 50 amp breakers. One just controls the lights which seems odd to me because it's 50 amps.
The one "leg" of the 240 is 120, so the one breaker only takes out the lights. That's a little eclectic - they could have used one 2-pole 50 amp breaker and it would be less confusing and safer. Would have been cheaper too.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD and Jehannum
The one "leg" of the 240 is 120, so the one breaker only takes out the lights. That's a little eclectic - they could have used one 2-pole 50 amp breaker and it would be less confusing and safer. Would have been cheaper too.
You think it's cool to leave it as it is? It seems to work fine but I'm not very knowledgeable about these things.

You think it's cool to leave it as it is? It seems to work fine but I'm not very knowledgeable about these things.
It's technically fine, other than someone could shut off the one breaker thinking they've shut off the stove. When in reality there is still one 120 hot coming into the stove. Or they shut off the one that controls the light "ok honey, that was the one for the stove!" Nope, still got that other fucking hot line on. And thus was born the double pole breaker which shuts off/on both hots. 2 minute job, $15-30 depending on brand & store. *All breakers are sold by brand and non-interchangeable. In case you were unaware.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant and OOD
It's technically fine, other than someone could shut off the one breaker thinking they've shut off the stove. When in reality there is still one 120 hot coming into the stove. Or they shut off the one that controls the light "ok honey, that was the one for the stove!" Nope, still got that other fucking hot line on. And thus was born the double pole breaker which shuts off/on both hots. 2 minute job, $15-30 depending on brand & store. *All breakers are sold by brand and non-interchangeable. In case you were unaware.
I plan on labeling it really well, but I need to fix some other things too so I may as well go ahead and change it. I'll get an electrician to do it since I probably now just enough to burn my house down.

I plan on labeling it really well, but I need to fix some other things too so I may as well go ahead and change it. I'll get an electrician to do it since I probably now just enough to burn my house down.
Really easy, just two screws, one on each breaker. Doesn't matter if you were to switch the wires due to how the boxes are setup. The back edge of the breaker(opposite where screw is) you just give a little pull and they pivot out. If you want to save the money. *The wires aren't hot, the connections on the breaker are. **Obviously someone could have retarded something elsewhere and that may not hold true. Soooo, always switch off the main breaker while doing this. Because we love you if nothing else.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD