Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

So, in the spring and fall, the house can get kinda stuffy since the A/C doesn't really kick on (and also when we go on vacation and turn the HVAC up/down). So I solved it with home automation!

1549637747064.png

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
So, in the spring and fall, the house can get kinda stuffy since the A/C doesn't really kick on (and also when we go on vacation and turn the HVAC up/down). So I solved it with home automation!

View attachment 6223
do you still have that funky thermostat you had to write some stupid IFTTT subroutine to control it with?

If you had a real smart thermostat, that shit is built in. I run some custom smartapp for the ecobee that checks temperature differentials between sensors at 3 points in teh house, and if the temp diff exceeds 2 degrees, it turns on the fan until it doesnt.

He probably doesn't have a framing nailer.
i suppose if i was hand hammering everything i might go with screws with an impact driver for in-place stuff where its hard to swing a hammer.

That said, my framing nailer is awesome.

Speaking of pneumatic nailers. Why the fuck do hardwood flooring nailers require you to bang on the damn thing with a hammer to fire it rather than pulling a trigger. Screwing and plugging the last 2 rows of hardwood cause there was no room to swing the mallet was a massive pain in the ass.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
i suppose if i was hand hammering everything i might go with screws with an impact driver for in-place stuff where its hard to swing a hammer.

That said, my framing nailer is awesome.

Speaking of pneumatic nailers. Why the fuck do hardwood flooring nailers require you to bang on the damn thing with a hammer to fire it rather than pulling a trigger. Screwing and plugging the last 2 rows of hardwood cause there was no room to swing the mallet was a massive pain in the ass.
My NR90 is the tits. Pretty convinced it could drive a fuckin' nail straight into steel.

I'm also confused about triggering a floor nailer. I think it might be setup that way so that the trigger motion drives the boards together, but even that seems questionable.

My NR90 is the tits. Pretty convinced it could drive a fuckin' nail straight into steel.

I'm also confused about triggering a floor nailer. I think it might be setup that way so that the trigger motion drives the boards together, but even that seems questionable.
same one ive got. i dont think ive ever had a misfire with it. Drives the nice cheap freeman plastic collated galvanized nails super well too

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Speaking of the hardwood floors, theyre done. No pics yet, but got the third coat of finish on them late last night.

Pallman finishes are fantastic, blows the Bona stuff out of the water. Super self leveling and really forgiving, dries faster, and the sheen is just amazing. Bona looks a little bit plasticky, but the Pallman Power i put down is that old school warm oil finish sheen without the color tint of oil. Its just so silky looking.

• Gravy
Reactions: kiwi and Jehannum