The (Free)Masons

Fat Burger

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Portland, OR
www.heartboxers.com
Marklar
₥0
So Fuxx and I have been watching this two-part documentary on the Masons (Biography channel I believe). Some things I knew (e.g. Franklin and Washington being Masons) and some I didn't (e.g. that it started with Hiram Abiff, King Solomon's temple master builder).

It got me thinking a bit more. I've done some research on them in the past, but it's really hard to know what's actually true and what isn't. One of my uncles was a Mason (died a couple years ago), but I only met him twice when I was young, so I never really had a chance to ask anything about it. I have no idea how much he could have shared.

So I thought UF might have some insight. What are your views on the Masons?

References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/larson.html
http://freemasonrywatch.org/secrets.html

some guy I met here at work is a mason he divulged to me and was going to get me info on becoming one...he never followed through :mad:

the fox theater in atlanta used to be a masonic temple originally..I love that building...amazingly designed...my dad does the upkeep on it's giant pipe organ

my great grandfather was a free mason - it seemed to me like his "crew" was a bunch of old white guys that played poker together

Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!

Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!

Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!

Who robs cavefish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do! We do!

Did you see that part about the construction of D.C.? Or maybe that was a different show, but it was on last night on some channel.

Anyhow they traced this triangle from the Capitol to the Washington Monument to the White House, and a french writer once pointed out that at a particular time of the year, a certain star appears over each building and in the middle of those stars is the constellation Virgo. Astrological signs appear in 55 locations around the city, more than any other city on earth. Also, Virgo is everywhere including on James Garfield's statue, who was also a Mason.

Just thought it was all a bit odd.

But no, I don't think there is anything serious or sinister about them, or that there is some Dan Brown-esque conspiracy or plot going on. I just think they are a fraternal organization whose membership is held together by shared moral and metaphysical ideals and—in most of its branches—by a constitutional declaration of belief in a Supreme Being.

Which just happens to be what Wikipedia says.

i had a friend who was a mason, and the celebration they had at my friend's funeral was very touching. i saw then what i figured he felt as a part of this organization, and i was glad that he had had the chance for it.

I thought about joining for a laugh, but I couldn't be bothered. You can find books in the library showing all of their handshakes, codewords etc. It's a pretty open "secret society". They're mainly a drinking club, but do lots of stuff for charity. They still waste most of their time dancing around though in ceremonies.

Aside from saying you're a mason to another mason, the only benefit is if you've moved to a new city and need a social circle. You'll not find cops or insurance underwriters in it anymore though, mostly retired government workers and lawyers.

The strangest secret socities are mostly all university based, and they have benifits outside of University, so I may look into joining one of those.

Galen said:
The strangest secret socities are mostly all university based, and they have benifits outside of University, so I may look into joining one of those.

In America we call those societies "fraternities", and those benefits "strippers".

Flamer McDickchugger said:
In America we call those societies "fraternities", and those benefits "strippers".
No no, not frats.

Invite only clubs. I was going to join a dining club complete with debating and fighting. It was insane, but connections++

Galen said:
No no, not frats.

Invite only clubs. I was going to join a dining club complete with debating and fighting. It was insane, but connections++

one of my cousins is in a dining club at princeton

Galen said:
No no, not frats.

Ya I know what you're talking about - there was a super elite secret society at a neighboring college of the one I went to called the "Cadavers"

Little was known about them except that they hooked up their members post graduation with good jobs, and they always donated back to the school

they've got a bridge or two in the college town with their seal on it

Galen said:
No no, not frats.

I was just kidding. I watched that movie The Skulls, I know what you're talking about. Please don't murder anyone though.

Drool-Boy said:
Ya it always helps to have connections when youre looking for a place to eat.:p

iirc, they don't have fraternities there and this is what they have instead