Thread The Entitled (unknowningly?) complaining about entitlements

Well I have more than that, but I'm lucky to have a father that manages retirement funds.

I don't know where I'm at in relationship to when I can retire. I joke with my dad that I want to retire in a few years. He says anything is possible, but what father doesn't say that?

I can max out an IRA and give 50% of my income to my 401K for 50 years and I guarantee after my nursing care I won't have any money at all left over for my family, or even to complete all of my care and afford a coffin. Who's at fault? What can you do different?

I can max out an IRA and give 50% of my income to my 401K for 50 years and I guarantee after my nursing care I won't have any money at all left over for my family, or even to complete all of my care and afford a coffin. Who's at fault? What can you do different?

What kind of illness are you planning for in your retirement? :fly:

I do wish to thank you all in this thread. I am now starting to learn about long term insurance and think I might pick some up while I am young and can afford it.

$1300 a month until I actually use the insurance? Are you kidding me? fuck.

the absolute cheapest is over $100 a month. I don't even pay for that for auto + homeowners + life insurance combined.

Last edited:
Not true at all. Before he got on medicaid we had to pay for it until his money ran out. He had savings and a retirement plan, but he's been living on that money for the past 20 years and it would have lasted a lot longer, except that he required a nursing facility because we could no longer care for him in home, so $15K a month it was. It didn't take very long at all for his money to go away at that rate.

Word to the wise: Buy long term care insurance and buy it when you are still relatively young as it gets exponentially expensive if you start paying for it when you are older.

15k should be enough for a few people. he has some huge care requirements for it to cost anything even remotely like that.
or it's a retirement country club

15k should be enough for a few people. he has some huge care requirements for it to cost anything even remotely like that.
or it's a retirement country club

It'd be nice if it were a retirement country club, but it's not. It is your typical depressing nursing home that smells like old people and piss. It's full of people shouting for help for no apparent reason and people who cannot even feed themselves but continue to live because euthanasia is illegal. It is awful just like every other nursing home out there. The only difference might be that the nurse to patient ratio is marginally better, but we are talking maybe 1:6 instead of 1:8, nothing drastic.

It'd be nice if it were a retirement country club, but it's not. It is your typical depressing nursing home that smells like old people and piss. It's full of people shouting for help for no apparent reason and people who cannot even feed themselves but continue to live because euthanasia is illegal. It is awful just like every other nursing home out there. The only difference might be that the nurse to patient ratio is marginally better, but we are talking maybe 1:6 instead of 1:8, nothing drastic.

it literally costs 1/3 as much here. that figure is astounding. my gf works in this industry so I've gotten to know a bit about it. for under $5k per month here you will get in a brand new facility in the nicest suite they have. that's if you're not sick though. must be the difference.

it literally costs 1/3 as much here. that figure is astounding. my gf works in this industry so I've gotten to know a bit about it. for under $5k per month here you will get in a brand new facility in the nicest suite they have. that's if you're not sick though. must be the difference.

Yes. He's sick. A retirement home is different from a nursing home. They call them nursing homes because the patients require nursing care. He wouldn't be there if he were healthy. He'd be at home with us.

Retirement home is not the same as Assisted Living is not the same a Skilled Nursing Home. They are all different animals with different services and vastly different costs.

Yes. He's sick. A retirement home is different from a nursing home. They call them nursing homes because the patients require nursing care. He wouldn't be there if he were healthy. He'd be at home with us.

Retirement home is not the same as Assisted Living is not the same a Skilled Nursing Home. They are all different animals with different services and vastly different costs.

I guess I think of them all rather synonymously when that is not the case

I joke with my dad that I want to retire in a few years. He says anything is possible, but what father doesn't say that?

Well I've always told my kids that very little is really possible, and that dreams are for fools. It pays to lower expectations early in life. By age 7, Carys didn't even think it was possible for her to win at chess, or arm wrestling.

I understand its had to look at things objectively when a family member is involved. However, that doesn't make the overall, logical, picture any less true. Now a days people should be saving on their own to be self sufficient.

edit: I can't even imagine how much money Medicad paid out to keep my dad alive for the 13 months after he was diagnosed with cancer, but I can tell you by the quality of life he got, it wasn't even fucking worth it.

No offense, but when you openly talk about wanting to scam the system regarding mortgages, you really shouldn't be giving financial advice.