stamp increase in effect monday, may 14

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
how many still use stamps on a regular basis? what do you think of this increase? do you think there will ever be a cap on these increases?

I've used one stamp in recent memory. And that's only because the cheap cingular bastards wouldn't give me a stamped envelope or let me send in my rebate online. I still have a book of stamps from two years ago with xmas crap on them.

I think the less people use stamps, the higher they price will go. They still need roughly the same amount of people to sort and deliver and such, but the average person hardly uses it where 20 years ago, everyone did. So they still need the same amount of money and they need it to increase to give their employees raises and account for inflation and such, but they are selling less. Maybe it will eventually get to the point that credit card companies won't be able to keep sending me 5 application things a day I just have to tear up.

Maybe once every six months. My post office is hi-tech so they use printed stamps (similar to stamps.com) so you have to buy three at a time. The last time I used them was January for birthday cards. I actually tossed them as I thought it changed last month, then I had to mail off a rebate. Now I have two more. :(

I think the less people use stamps, the higher they price will go. They still need roughly the same amount of people to sort and deliver and such, but the average person hardly uses it where 20 years ago, everyone did. So they still need the same amount of money and they need it to increase to give their employees raises and account for inflation and such, but they are selling less. Maybe it will eventually get to the point that credit card companies won't be able to keep sending me 5 application things a day I just have to tear up.

Yes. This is why they say they have to increase it ever year.

I wish the credit card companies would stop trying to trick you into going paperless. At least its not like Georgia Power. If you sign up to be able to send a payment online you are automatically dropped from paper bills. Its not the fact that I'm oldfashioned and want the bill, they don't send them until the bill is due in less than a week. Before I got them at least two weeks early.

no stamps for me since wedding invites

why would they cap the price? do you know something i don't in regards to inflation, col, etc?

no, but i find it hard to believe that this will go until it's $1 to mail one envelope, for example. do you think that will happen?

i wonder if they will encorporate a charge on your utility bill or phone bill or something like that where we will end up paying for postal service regardless of whether we buy stamps or not.

i still use stamps regularly. i send cards frequently and have a couple of bills that can't be paid online (or i refuse to pay for the service.) it frustrates me that it's getting to be $.50 to mail one envelope. that might not seem like a lot, but we are broke, and i'm not going to be able to afford to send all the cards i like to send. that makes me :(.

Maybe it will eventually get to the point that credit card companies won't be able to keep sending me 5 application things a day I just have to tear up.

it's free to mail you those things...it's if you send it back that they have to pay for postage. that's how i understand it anyway. i try to tear off all my information and then stuff the envelope full of trash and send it back to them. i've thought about taping rocks on it to make it heavier. :fly:

Priority mail is cheaper for me than buying stamps. It's fixed rate for certain sized envelopes, not by weight. Havent used an actual stamp in years, prepaid mailing ftw, probably send about 20 letters and two packages a month.

USPS shouldn't be complaining about the less amount of letters being sent because of the internet. Now they have these HUGE packages from online orders they are collecting on instead.

you send packages via usps? Its a good way for it to get lost. Fedex is the only solution.

1. usps = lost package or late package
2. ups = late package or destroyed package. (If I fucking ordered something over night, I want it that morning, not that evening after the work day.)

I know its lucky, but fedex hasn't screwed me too badly yet.

Me and my mom are gonna go in together and buy a bunch of those eternity stamps. You can use those on small parcel packages, and the price for shipping those are gonna go up as well.

I think it's insane how high stamps have gotten.

you send packages via usps? Its a good way for it to get lost. Fedex is the only solution.

2. ups = late package or destroyed package. (If I fucking ordered something over night, I want it that morning, not that evening after the work day.)

Of all the things I've mailed, I've only had 1 thing lost. Cum stained socks > ATL mail.

USPS has never lost anything of mine. UPS failed to make it through customs once. Fedex destroyed an $800--- machine part.

Of all the lost packages Ive seen, most of them were fucked up when they were mailed. Improper labeling, not closed tightly, etc. I've had first class airmail come like 6 months late, but it gets there.

Edit: The canadian post office system thingy has LOST 3 PACKAGES the bastards. Just lost, with no trace.

Royal Mail (UK) is way speedy though. German mail takes months but it gets there. Polish mail is fast or lost... Thats all the countries I mail to.

Last edited:

That's regional. UPS works fine for us. I'm sure DHL is best in other areas.