Advice So the microwave died. Recommend a new one and something to do with the old one?

Mr. Argumentor

I fab shitboxes and shitbox accessories.
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Marklar
₥73,825
Steam
asastang
Exactly as the title says. Had loaded up a potato the other night cause we didn't have time to bake it. About halfway through we hear a :BZZT: and it went dark.
Now we gotta get a new one and I gotta do something with the old one.

Anyone have suggestions on a good microwave?

obviously harvest the transformer and generator.

As for a new one, Panasonic Genius are still the gold standard.

Seconding the robot - Panasonic inverter microwaves are good shit. They do stuff like actually vary the microwave power instead of cycling it on/off on the defrost cycle.

If features or style don't matter, just get a cheap trash one from Walmart. You'll probably get several years out of it anyway.

And MOTs are a great way to kill yourself. They can easily deliver lethal current, at a voltage high enough to easily carry that current through you if you're not wearing the right PPE. If you touch the secondary side, you'll be dead with a high probability.

As of two years ago, 625 people are suspected to have died from electrocution while attempting "fractal wood burning" using scrap MOTs. It's fucked:

If you do a project with the scrap transformer, hack the HV secondary off it, run a couple turns of thick wire through it and melt shit with high current, or build a spot welder or something. Just please don't do a project with the HV winding, I don't want you to die.

office space GIF by Maudit