Marklar
₥0
so i bring ye some news and stuff...

1.) new baby girl...
b.) lots of work...
3.) wife's dog of 16 yrs. died...

so to recap, this is what i do...

here's some new old stuff:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7W7Xr4gr-4"]YouTube - 1st 8.4m Mirror[/ame]

youtube.com/watch?v=g7W7Xr4gr-4
edit: something is messed up w/ the parser/youtube, the video is still up, copy/paste link...

this is a time lapse video of making the 1st 8.4m mirror for the LBT...

it shows everything from making the mold to adding the glass, to fixing the blow out and adding more glass, to attaching the lifting spider and removing it from the hearth...

i hope to get some more pics of the new stuff i'm working on up soon...

Last edited:
There is some cool books by Stephen R. Donaldson about guys that make mirrors. The series was called Mordant's Need. Congrats on the baby. Is it your first.

I'll have to watch that at some point today when I have time. While you've been gone we just relocated and are now in Phoenix.

congratulations to a baby! we had our second (but first boy) back in april. sorry to hear about the puppy. :( i'm sure that was very hard.

welcome back!

pif mirror. I need to redecorate my bedroom ceiling ;)
better brace the ceiling, mirror weighs 20 tons...

There is some cool books by Stephen R. Donaldson about guys that make mirrors. The series was called Mordant's Need. Congrats on the baby. Is it your first.
added to my to read list, this one is our second, i have a 5 yr. old son...

I'll have to watch that at some point today when I have time. While you've been gone we just relocated and are now in Phoenix.
awesome, just a short trip down i-10 to come see the lab...

congratulations to a baby! we had our second (but first boy) back in april. sorry to hear about the puppy. :( i'm sure that was very hard.

welcome back!
yeah, she is still upset about it...

Why does the university build their own mirrors? That seems kinda odd. Do they also sell them?

we build mainly for others...

we built w/ partners, several telescopes in Arizona, some in Chile, some for the air force, and one, a reverse telescope (collimator) for satellite testing...

these are multi-million dollar projects, we are doing GMT and LSST...

we build mainly for others...

we built w/ partners, several telescopes in Arizona, some in Chile, some for the air force, and one, a reverse telescope (collimator) for satellite testing...

these are multi-million dollar projects, we are doing GMT and LSST...

WTF is a reverse telescope? And what is your opinion on dark matter?

WTF is a reverse telescope? And what is your opinion on dark matter?

reverse telescope, aka a collimator, projects an image, rather than look at one. as for the dark matter, i really don't have an opinion, i just build the stuff, not too much into astronomy, but i will make my own scope soon...

telescope
collimator

basically some test target / image is projected through the collimator and looked at , in our case, a satellite. this is used to test said satellite's resolution and imaging properties...

this collimator project will also be housed in a huge vacuum chamber to simulate space conditions...

i can't post pics of this project...

telescope
collimator

basically some test target / image is projected through the collimator and looked at , in our case, a satellite. this is used to test said satellite's resolution and imaging properties...

this collimator project will also be housed in a huge vacuum chamber to simulate space conditions...

i can't post pics of this project...

Why no pics? Seckrat projuct?