So I just got back from alaska...

plot

Morning Boehner
Oct 16, 2006
kansas city
Marklar
₥1,897
Work sent me to Alaska (long as flight, it sucked), for the week to goto a few meetings and some trainings. I'm designing a fire alarm system for an oil company facility on the north slope (Prudhoe Bay, north part of alaska on the artic ocean) and will be flying back up in a few weeks to go up there, but this time I was just in Anchorage.

I didn't have alot of time to get out and about so these are just some pictures I took of the scenery. It's summertime in Alaska, and since anchorage is on the shore it gets really nice there. The scenery was amazing.

This is some random picture of some stream dealie we drove by.
Alaska1.jpg

When the snow melts these marshland areas pop up, I guess they're bird sanctuaries... didn't see alot of birds though.
Alaska2.jpg

These mountain scenery was simply amazing...
Alaska3.jpg

A recent avalanche left this chute on the side of the road, there were actually a bunch of these shoots spaced pretty evenly apart... would suck to get caught in one of these. As you can tell, this photo was taken from the back seat of an Acura.
Alaska4.jpg

Random blasted rock, these things go up forever.
Alaska5.jpg

We saw some mountain sheep on the side of the road.
Alaska6.jpg

Another one, yay!
Alaska7.jpg

Flight home
Alaska8.jpg

Not sure why I took these pictures... guess I liked how the clouds looked from above.
Alaska9.jpg

I should be going up again in a few weeks, maybe I'll see a grizzly or a polar bear or something interesting.

i would LOVE to visit alaska. thanks for sharing!! (and clouds look so amazing in flight, and always turn out disappointing on film, right?)

That would be an amazing trip.

...if it wasn't so cold.

If you go in August it's not so bad. You only need a heavy jacket during the day and your coat at night. And don't actually ever get in the water, it's quite cold.

Def worth the trip if you can swing it though. Awesome scenery, fishing is fun (nothing like reeling in a 25 pound fish, and that was only a small one), and you can do crab fishing and clam digging and such. Also, they have the bears.

Wow, have fun in Prudhoe Bay. Middle of nowhere ftw...

I'm hoping to see lots more wildlife or something. Either way, it's an all expenses paid experience of a lifetime! Not alot of people get to go up there! :D

How cold was it?

30's and 40's. Friday before we got there it snowed 2 feet, by tuesday most of it was melted. Thats in Anchorage though, the north slope is 600 miles north... and a whole lot colder. We had to take an artic training class before we could get clearence to go up!

i would LOVE to visit alaska. thanks for sharing!! (and clouds look so amazing in flight, and always turn out disappointing on film, right?)

I should've filmed the takeoff from Anchorage... going up over the ocean with the mountains in the background and the clouds rising up... Even leaving was awesome.

any good job prospects up there? I'm thinking of moving northwards on a permanent basis.

ps. firesystem design = throw snow on it.

the oil rigs do 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. 12 hour shifts while on... and lots of people seem to be going up there to do it. From what I hear, it pays really well. Coming home from alaska I was sitting next to a guy that lives in cleveland ohio and goes up there every 2 weeks to work... and that seems to be the norm for alot of people.

Otherwise, the job market, houseing market, etc. in anchorage has been completely uneffected like the rest of the US, it's all pretty good up there.

Property tax is high, but no sales tax, no income tax. And the oil companies pay everyone in the state a dividend every year, last year it was $1700, next year it's supposed to be $2500. Every single person, no matter the age... so if you have a family of 5... you'd get 12,500 next year.

Everything does cost more though since it has to be shipped in. We had trouble finding a place that was worth eating at, and every meal was about $5 more than you'd expect down here.

Last edited:
:lol: that's awesome. population of 5!

Alaska would be awesome to see. In the summer.

Luckily I'm only gonna be going up there in the summer :D

I went to bed at around 11pm everynight and woke up at 4am (3 hour difference from my normal time zone had me all screwed up), and never saw darkness.... very short nights this time of year.

Luckily I'm only gonna be going up there in the summer :D

I went to bed at around 11pm everynight and woke up at 4am (3 hour difference from my normal time zone had me all screwed up), and never saw darkness.... very short nights this time of year.

That with the scenery has gotta be pretty damn epic. Take about 1000000x teh pix next time. <3

the oil rigs do 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. 12 hour shifts while on... and lots of people seem to be going up there to do it. From what I hear, it pays really well. Coming home from alaska I was sitting next to a guy that lives in cleveland ohio and goes up there every 2 weeks to work... and that seems to be the norm for alot of people.

Otherwise, the job market, houseing market, etc. in anchorage has been completely uneffected like the rest of the US, it's all pretty good up there.

Property tax is high, but no sales tax, no income tax. And the oil companies pay everyone in the state a dividend every year, last year it was $1700, next year it's supposed to be $2500. Every single person, no matter the age... so if you have a family of 5... you'd get 12,500 next year.

Everything does cost more though since it has to be shipped in. We had trouble finding a place that was worth eating at, and every meal was about $5 more than you'd expect down here.

that's where mikey lives.

i'd like to visit alaska one of these days.