Shart and blumpkin in the Times

shawndavid

Are you wanting making fuck berserker?
I can't believe the St Pete Times used both these words.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/dining/2008/02/irvine-cooked-u.html?cid=102937238#comment-102937238

Irvine cooked up some whoppers

376988770_d5808b8c1e_2One thing I can say for sure: Robert Irvine's cookware must not be Teflon. Because things are sure beginning to stick. In the aftermath of the Times' s story on Irvine, many sites are picking up the news and running with it.

Although the Food Network has not returned my call yet, glancing at their site today I couldn't help but notice that the Irvine bio page that existed last week has been removed, and the list of celebrity chefs on the network no longer includes him.

Wikipedia has already tagged its entry with: "The factual accuracy of this article is disputed." And then it gives a brief overview of the Times's story.

Gawker picked up the story, with a Youtube video that shows Irvine making some of his more, um, creative assertions. The comments section has some humdingers, such as this one: "Lessons learned: 1) Americans do not tolerate media personalities with bloated egos. 2) Do not f**** with St. Petersburg socialites. 3) Do not name your restaurant anything that causes immediate, forceful vomiting: Ooze, Splurt, Shart, Pus, Blumpkin, ..."

Tb_irvine450 As did Television Without Pity. Best comment: "I'm not surprised: the last time I watched Dinner: Impossible, I really listened to the intro and started thinking, Boy, he's a relatively young man. If he's really done all those things, he must not have spent much time doing any one of them. And it made me wonder. People in this country sure will roll over for a British accent."

And Chowhound, as one would expect, has had a field day with this info. Here's one of the better bits:

"I had the unfortunate experience of working for "Chef" Irvine. His culinary skills are "ok" but nothing spectacular. He is, beyond a doubt, the most insecure man I've ever met. I am certainly not a professional psychologist but my only explanation for the ridiculous tales that he spins was a neurotically poor self-image.

In a meeting one afternoon he tried to pass off the story of having made Lady Di's Wedding Cake. Knowing his age and the year she was married I intoned; "Chef, you were like...12, that remarkable!!" Everyones laughter was uncontrollable, his embarrassment was uncomfortable, and retribution was forthcoming.

Other tales of being the only Chef that Tony Blair would allow to cook for him when he was in the States, redoing the plates of Tom Keller, Charlie Trotter, and Eric Rippert at a James Beard event in NYC before they left the kitchen are just too bizarre. Tom Keller would break his arm if he touched his plate!"
Photo: Irvine takes a break during Titaniumn Chef Challenge at Don Cesar Beach Resort. Click to enlarge. [Scott Keeler | Times]

February 18, 2008 in Food News | Permalink