Radiation and you

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
I just found out that two family friends here in Texas (unrelated to each other) were recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer, a very slow-growing and generally non-life threatening form of the disease. The consensus of the doctors and experts involved is that the cancer was likely caused by fallout from Chernobyl. We were all living in Europe at the time, and a sizable cloud of radiation passed over the town we lived in. I remember being advised through most of my childhood to not eat reindeer meat and various other products due to possible contamination.

There's no truly accurate way to define the scope of that tragedy, but some people say that upwards of 200,000 will have eventually died or been stricken by radiation related cancers. Something like 50 or 60 people died as a direct result of the explosion and radiation, and there are many thousands of known cases of nonlethal cancers. So anyway, now I have to have an MRI to see if those commie bastards have given me superpowers. (I bet you thought I was going to segue into zombies.)

My physician, Dr. Freeman, couldn't tell me exactly how an MRI would detect superpowers, though he did remark rather cryptically that hopefully it wouldn't cause a resonance cascade, whatever the fuck that means.

The moral of this story? If you were anywhere near Chernobyl when it threw its little tantrum, now would be a good time to have your junk checked.

I've read that many of the Chernobyl survivors later developed thyroid cancers, something to do with radioactive iodine or something.

:( I was waiting for the Fresh Prince of Bell Aire thing or something... it's sad that this is true.

This news is doubly weird considering how much STALKER I've been playing lately. I've died from fatal rad levels countless times.

Good luck dude, hopefully everything comes back ok :(

Out of curiosity though, why specifically reindeer meat?

Winds at the time of the accident carried the radioactive fallout clouds directly over reindeer grazing lands in Scandinavia (I lived in Norway at the time). High levels of contamination.

good luck, sweetie!! :heart: i'll be thinking of you. let us know asap when you find out something. i'm sure this is a weird position to be in. :eek: :heart:

plus who knows what the reindeers range is... they could still be running in and out of contaminated zones.

good luck to you and your family. shitty news indeed. :(

good luck, sweetie!! :heart: i'll be thinking of you. let us know asap when you find out something. i'm sure this is a weird position to be in. :eek: :heart:

Yeah it'll be weird having "Family MRI Day" at the hospital. A few other families we were over there with have so far come back negative. It's creepy shit.

I remember watching the pictures and graphs on the Norwegian news showing where the fallout was headed, and not knowing what the woman was saying. Turns out most parents aren't very good at explaining the dangers of particle streams to kids.

That sucks :(

One of the nifty things about getting cancer, is that the radiation treatments and/or all the CAT scans/X-Rays could (Depending on which doctors you believe) give you MORE cancer :happy:

Being as someone who actually WORKS in radiation oncology, I can tell you that modern treatment devices and planning systems eliminate the possibility of that occuring down to the smallest of percentages.

Iron Knee that you like STALKER so much.

Also, it's likely that Chernobyl will continue to claim lives and health for a quite some time because of the way the Russians handled it and have since left it. It's going to take a herculean effort to completely clean it up, and that is IF cleaning it up is even going to be possible.