Question for you Car people

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
I heard a rumor that Mazda engines can mostly only be worked on by Mazda dealerships. The reasoning was because it was a rotary engine instead of a traditional engine. I'm not a car person so I have no idea; is there any truth to this?

A Mazda is an expensive Ford. My Mazda Tribute looks like a Ford Escape and has the Mustang V6 engine in it.

The only Mazda's with rotary engines being made now are the RX8 I believe.

Cool, that's what I thought but I wanted to confirm.

I'm in the process of Jewing the dealer down.

Right now we are sitting at 13,500 and he's going to install cruise control in the car for this little 2006 3i: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...ional&paId=227793320&recnum=4&leadExists=true

I'm thinking I can get him down at least a few hundred more because the car has been on his lot since January, we are about to have the '07s turn a year old.

The car was originally listed at 15300 in January, it is now stickered at 13,993.

What are your thoughts on pricing here?

The RX-8 is the only mass produced car with a rotory engine. It is a Mazda design, built in Japan only. It has nothing to do with Ford at all.

Most of the other engines and transmissions swap between Mazda and Ford, but the rotory is all Mazda.

I was looking into a Mazda3 hatch myself (see my other threads), but I am in an area where they are still being marked up high and they have a wicked resale value. A car with 40K miles and 2 years old is still going for just under $1000 under 2007 invoice.

The RX-8 is the only mass produced car with a rotory engine. It is a Mazda design, built in Japan only. It has nothing to do with Ford at all.

Most of the other engines and transmissions swap between Mazda and Ford, but the rotory is all Mazda.

I was looking into a Mazda3 hatch myself (see my other threads), but I am in an area where they are still being marked up high and they have a wicked resale value. A car with 40K miles and 2 years old is still going for just under $1000 under 2007 invoice.

wow, asking price or is that what they are selling at?

Take a vacation to Savannah and pick one up to drive home. They are not selling well down here for some reason and this guy (www.fairwaymazda.com) has a lot of 3's to get rid of by august/sept. You can stay at casa ERage but no funny business, my wife would kick your ass ;)

honestly if I owned an RX8 the LAST place I would get it worked on is a Mazda dealership

Besides, if I owned an RX8 the first thing I would do is take the pussy little engine out and replace it with an LS1 :lol:

I have a few coworkers with rx8s and none of them have reported problems with having them worked on at the stealership...I think mazda properly trained the techs vs the last rotary release, the '93-'95 rx7

for a non rotary engine you won't have anything to worry about

mazda's are made by ford?

ha! now i can cross that car off my list of possible choices.

yes and no, mazda is owned by ford...lots of Japanese parts, some Ford parts, assembled in mexico.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but Mazda is to ford what Acura is to Honda, right?

I don't want to pay a ton of money for a toyota or honda just because everyone else is buying them. Sure they are typically more reliable but they cost a lot more too. Demand is a bastard, it makes the seller have all the power.

I'll take my savings and spend them on a repair or 2 when the time comes.

Last edited:
yes and no, mazda is owned by ford...lots of Japanese parts, some Ford parts, assembled in mexico.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but Mazda is to ford what Acura is to Honda, right?
no, ford and mazda are two seperate entities. ford just happened to buy out most of mazda

Acura is simply a division of Honda, not really a seperate company. They knew people wouldn't pay 30 grand for something with a Honda badge on it so they created this luxury line. For a while the Acura brand didn't exist outside of the US.

Acura is to Honda what Lexus is to Toyota. It's slightly different with Lexus because every Lexus car we have here is basically a Toyota in Japan. It's pretty much just marketing.

Last edited:

I don't want to pay a ton of money for a toyota or honda just because everyone else is buying them. Sure they are typically more reliable but they cost a lot more too. Demand is a bastard, it makes the seller have all the power.

I'll take my savings and spend them on a repair or 2 when the time comes.

Mazdas are not necessarily assembled in Mexico. My Protege is not. It is 100% Japanese parts, built in Japan 100%. It just uses a Ford transmission, that's it.