Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
idk if any of you have been following the voting fuckery here in WI but it's been a doozy
Yes, that's pretty stunning. In Ohio the governor went to court to have our primary changed from March 17 to sometime in June. The judge denied it. However, the head of the Ohio Department of Health stepped in and closed all polling places in Ohio on March 17 claiming it was a health risk and at that point the Ohio Primary was changed. I'm surprised Wisconsin wasn't able to do something like that to get around the courts.

Yes, that's pretty stunning. In Ohio the governor went to court to have our primary changed from March 17 to sometime in June. The judge denied it. However, the head of the Ohio Department of Health stepped in and closed all polling places in Ohio on March 17 claiming it was a health risk and at that point the Ohio Primary was changed. I'm surprised Wisconsin wasn't able to do something like that to get around the courts.
I think it's because Evers dragged dick too long, the SCOTUS only ruled last night, and I dont think there was enough time for the dept of health to shut it down after that. I also don't think they expected they'd rescind the absentee stuff, either

absentee voting was initially extended until the 13th, because a lot of people that requested ballots still hadn't received them, but they walked it back to they'd accept ballots through the 13th but they still had to be postmarked by today, otherwise they have to vote in person (and like, I have a friend who is a nurse and hadn't received her ballot but can't vote today bc she's doing nurse shit)

and

they had removed the requirement of a witness signature on absentee ballots because some people are quarantined alone, but they rescinded that as well, and there's no recourse for people who already mailed in unwitnessed ballots that won't be processed - they can't go vote in person bc they're quarantined for a fucking reason

I think it's because Evers dragged dick too long, the SCOTUS only ruled last night, and I dont think there was enough time for the dept of health to shut it down after that. I also don't think they expected they'd rescind the absentee stuff, either
Ohio didn't do anything until a few days before. On March 16 at one point the polls were still going to be open. It was very late on the 16 the Department of Health stepped in. I know there are different laws in different States though. But you're right when you say there was feet dragging obviously. It's not like the pandemic hit this Wisconsin last week. They had a lot more time than some other States to do something about their primary.

absentee voting was initially extended until the 13th, because a lot of people that requested ballots still hadn't received them, but they walked it back to they'd accept ballots through the 13th but they still had to be postmarked by today, otherwise they have to vote in person (and like, I have a friend who is a nurse and hadn't received her ballot but can't vote today bc she's doing nurse shit)

and

they had removed the requirement of a witness signature on absentee ballots because some people are quarantined alone, but they rescinded that as well, and there's no recourse for people who already mailed in unwitnessed ballots that won't be processed - they can't go vote in person bc they're quarantined for a fucking reason
Yeah, that's just a stupid ruling. What the hell.

Ohio didn't do anything until a few days before. On March 16 at one point the polls were still going to be open. It was very late on the 16 the Department of Health stepped in. I know there are different laws in different States though. But you're right when you say there was feet dragging obviously. It's not like the pandemic hit this Wisconsin last week. They had a lot more time than some other States to do something about their primary.
both Evers' order and the SCOTUS ruling occurred yesterday I believe, which was the eve of the election in both cases.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers
there were also a lot of closed polling locations - in Milwaukee, where there are usually something like 180 locations, there were only 5

• Sad
Reactions: Immigrant
of note, in addition to the primaries, we also had a state supreme court judge incumbent (Kelly) who was appointed by Walker going up against a more liberal contender (Karofsky) which is I suspect why the GOP & state Republicans pushed back so hard against allowing people to vote

took me an hour and 20 minutes to vote. Showed up an hour before closing. By the time I was done there was still people with another 20-30 minute wait to vote. I guess it wasn’t horrible. Lots of social distancing, several people in masks. Poll volunteers disinfecting everything and had sanitizing stations at key points. I was pleasantly surprised how respectful and patient people were

Status
Not open for further replies.