Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 9129

So y'all see Neil DeGrasse Tyson's twatter yet?
vdqfolmc3he31.jpg

Didn't take long for one news reporter to link metal to violence.

I remember the same excuse was used after Columbine. It's not the music folks. Nice try.

full disclosure: I like The Acacia Strain and met Vincent, their vocalist, a few months back after their set. He plays video games, collects comics and other shit. Really nice down to earth guy.

I remember the same excuse was used after Columbine. It's not the music folks. Nice try.

full disclosure: I like The Acacia Strain and met Vincent, their vocalist, a few months back after their set. He plays video games, collects comics and other shit. Really nice down to earth guy.

this just in: comic books and video games cause metal, and metal causes columbine. Ergo, comic books are the devil.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
I bet the shooter was a marilyn manson fan, too...

Haven't heard of him being blamed for a mass shooting in a while, actually.

this just in: comic books and video games cause metal, and metal causes columbine. Ergo, comic books are the devil.
I thought that metal was all descended from crazy Norse mythos, which is also sort of tangentially foundational to white supremacy, therefore white supremacists are the devil.

The Columbine shooters were white supremacists, too.

Manifesto hit the internet 27 minutes before the shooting, and he didn't say he was gonna shoot up a specific walmart, and finding a person in 27 minutes in a city the size of el paso... good luck with that.

By all means, tell me how they could have caught the guy.

Depends on how he went about it. It's plenty of time for technology to pin you down. Whether or not the humans acted on it fast enough is another matter.

I'm thinking of how fast they found our bomber guy we had here a while back. Once they have a name/know who to look for it moves fast.
Of course it was his phone that gave him away. Had him pinpointed pretty much the instant he powered it back up but he was narrowed down to a manageable size general likely area before that.

No it's not the same exact scenario though it is finding a single individual in a large city. The surveillance state is real. Maybe they couldn't physically reach him in 27 minutes but it's not like they were totally in the dark as to what the guy was up to.

To move totally undetected around here you'd pretty much have to go dark, zero use of any technology, come up with a good disguise, not use an automobile, public transportation, or any other form of motorized transportation, never present an ID to anyone for any reason, pay in cash only, and hope for the best.

Depends on how he went about it. It's plenty of time for technology to pin you down. Whether or not the humans acted on it fast enough is another matter.

I'm thinking of how fast they found our bomber guy we had here a while back. Once they have a name/know who to look for it moves fast.
Of course it was his phone that gave him away. Had him pinpointed pretty much the instant he powered it back up but he was narrowed down to a manageable size general likely area before that.

No it's not the same exact scenario though it is finding a single individual in a large city. The surveillance state is real. Maybe they couldn't physically reach him in 27 minutes but it's not like they were totally in the dark as to what the guy was up to.

To move totally undetected around here you'd pretty much have to go dark, zero use of any technology, come up with a good disguise, not use an automobile, public transportation, or any other form of motorized transportation, never present an ID to anyone for any reason, pay in cash only, and hope for the best.
- The manifesto didn't have his name/identity on it. They'd have to figure that out first.
- 8chan isn't gonna give out an IP address associated with a post, assuming they even log it. At least without a great big pile of paperwork, legal challenges and other bullshit that's gonna take longer than 27 minutes.
- But assuming they figured out his identity, odds are they'd go knock on his door first (in his home city, 10 hours away from el paso) before applying for a warrant to track a cellphone.
- Writing up, applying for a warrant to track a cellphone, getting a judge to sign off on it, forwarding it to the telecom company... shit's slow.
- Even if by some freak chance they found out dude's identity and linked his cellphone to it, you can only figure out someone's position as accurately as what cellphone tower they're closest to, which means you're looking for dude in a 5 mile circle in a city as big as el paso. No current cellphone standard (up to and including 4G LTE) has the ability to triangulate a handset location.

But by all means, tell me the exact sequence of events that would have occurred in 27 minutes to nab the guy.

- The manifesto didn't have his name/identity on it. They'd have to figure that out first.
- 8chan isn't gonna give out an IP address associated with a post, assuming they even log it. At least without a great big pile of paperwork, legal challenges and other bullshit that's gonna take longer than 27 minutes.
- But assuming they figured out his identity, odds are they'd go knock on his door first (in his home city, 10 hours away from el paso) before applying for a warrant to track a cellphone.
- Writing up, applying for a warrant to track a cellphone, getting a judge to sign off on it, forwarding it to the telecom company... shit's slow.
- Even if by some freak chance they found out dude's identity and linked his cellphone to it, you can only figure out someone's position as accurately as what cellphone tower they're closest to, which means you're looking for dude in a 5 mile circle in a city as big as el paso. No current cellphone standard (up to and including 4G LTE) has the ability to triangulate a handset location.

But by all means, tell me the exact sequence of events that would have occurred in 27 minutes to nab the guy.

Ya, someday if I have time I'll go back and see what was posted when and then taken down but found in an archive or whatever.

As far as the waiting for a warrant part all I can say is LOL. They don't do that. And oftentimes don't need to to reach the desired result.

oh ffs. You know you sound like this, right?

As far as the waiting for a warrant part all I can say is LOL. They don't do that. And oftentimes don't need to to reach the desired result.
Yeah, because criminal prosecution cases go really far in the courts when the evidence presented was obtained without a warrant.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Yeah, because criminal prosecution cases go really far in the courts when the evidence presented was obtained without a warrant.

The snooper stuff doesn't go to court. That's for warrantless searching, locating, and listening. You use that to find the info you want. Can always find some other way to "discover" it after the fact.

What gets submitted as court documents is police reports with horrible grammar that look like they were written by an 8th grader with ADD that say things like "officer observed" or "anonymous tip indicated" or "bystanders indicated", all the while referring to the person who's supposed to be innocent until proven guilty as a "subject".

Then they go to trial where people accept police reports as hard truth and believe cops are honest upstanding citizens putting their lives on the line to protect the everyman from those other bad people because that's the line they've been fed all their lives.

Or just threaten them with life so they take a 20 year plea deal because nobody has the resources to fight the government alone.

In other words, NO U!

You can totally locate a cell handset. A company I worked for almost 20 years ago now was doing it. That was 3g and we were able to identify which car it was on a highway.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Status
Not open for further replies.