OneWhoKnows goes bow hunting for elk!

onewhoknows

Half-staff Member
Sep 9, 2008
USA
Marklar
₥0
This may be a repost for some of you haha.

Unfortunately, this time around, no elk were caught (or even seen), but 95% of the trip is to have good company, hike and climb through amazing forest and the thrill of tracking an animal.

Here are some pictures from the journey:
Image_73.JPG

Image_78.JPG

Image_80.JPG

Image_81.JPG

Image_82.JPG

Image_84.JPG

Image_85.JPG

Some fresh tracks we were tracking. We got the bull elk to call back to us a few times, but he kept retreating instead of coming to investigate. It may have been that he wind was at our backs.

Image_89.JPG

Image_91.JPG

Image_94.JPG

How the hell would you get a downed elk out of an area like that? It looks mighty steep and those guys have to be at least 500 lbs. if not more.

Also how does elk taste in comparison to venison? Pretty similar?

How the hell would you get a downed elk out of an area like that? It looks mighty steep and those guys have to be at least 500 lbs. if not more.

helicopter, or ATV.

elk is richer then venison, because it's generally a larger animal, but the idea is the same- leaner meat, more flavor, and just all around :drool:

Beautiful. Where is this at???
In Oregon, in the Tillamook County area :)

Basically, depending on where it is, you kick the elk and let gravity do its work. It'll get caught on something and you just repeat haha. Once it's at the bottom, we use a sled after deboning it to get it to the truck.

And what F33nX said above about the meat :)

and also, I AM TOTALL FSCKING JEALOUS!!!!!
bow hunting for elk is like my dream hunt. seriously. i don't even have time to hunt this season :(

We're planning a trip next year to go moose/bear bow hunting in Alaska and then caribou bow hunting in Canada.... you should come with! I love bow hunting so much more than rifle hunting... it's just so much more of a challenge. :D

And thanks everyone for the comments!

We're planning a trip next year to go moose/bear bow hunting in Alaska and then caribou bow hunting in Canada.... you should come with! I love bow hunting so much more than rifle hunting... it's just so much more of a challenge. :D

And thanks everyone for the comments!

PM me w/ details. I may actually have vacation time by then. Or hell, just PM me w/ details on hunting up in Oregon. Season opens here next week and I have no stamps, renewed license, or practice w/ my bow :(