Obama needs to stop "pounding" people at press events

Well, whens the last time you rode it? Why the hell WOULD anybody ride it these days? Its like arguing to keep stagecoaches around...

I ride the Acela several times a year to NYC.

Short of driving myself, which sucks in a car once you get to NYC, it's the best way to get there.

Once you figure the airport wait, travel to and from the airport, it takes the same amount of time and the seats are MEGA comfortable in comparison.

Not to mention the snack/beverage car, usable bathrooms, cell-phones working, etc.

an hour commute is far from unusual. you just have to admit that you can afford to pay for the privileges you enjoy. It's common for wants to become needs once you have them.

No, an hour commute around here is pure HELL.

I'm paying slightly more for free time sure, but you have to go pretty far to see significant price drops.

Not to mention the snack/beverage car, usable bathrooms, cell-phones working, etc.
That right there is why I love the train. Never traveled Amtrack, but VIA in Canada is damn sweet. Best thing about VIA is you seldom have to wait for freight, whereas here I've heard that passenger trains are always having to wait for freight to pass because freight has top rights.

that'll change. in 15 years dorchester, roslindale and all those neighborhoods will be prime real estate. if you wanna live cheaply you have to stay ahead of the curve. buy in a developing rather than established neighborhood.
That time was 5-6 years ago. All these young kids out of college started buying houses there and cleaning the neighborhoods up, then the freaks took the area back.

That right there is why I love the train. Never traveled Amtrack, but VIA in Canada is damn sweet. Best thing about VIA is you seldom have to wait for freight, whereas here I've heard that passenger trains are always having to wait for freight to pass because freight has top rights.

I'd love to take that train accross Canada some day.

The Acela doesn't have to wait for freight, but I think the regular Amtrak does.

I took the regular Amtrak a lot when the Mrs. and I were dating, and it was frequently late or running long, but dirt cheap compared to flying and still about the same time overall.

I'd love to take that train accross Canada some day.

The Acela doesn't have to wait for freight, but I think the regular Amtrak does.

I took the regular Amtrak a lot when the Mrs. and I were dating, and it was frequently late or running long, but dirt cheap compared to flying and still about the same time overall.
iirc the Acela owns their tracks. in all other cases freight companies own the tracks.

I honestly have no idea, I don't pay that close attention to it anymore.
downtown Fort Worth was a complete wreck about 15 years ago, but the Bass family hired a private police force to patrol it and clean it up. As for the south side (where I live) that's just been the focus of increased patrols and neighborhood policing (small, store-front police stations within the neighborhoods) which has massive reduced crime in the area.

There is also an organization called Fort Worth South that joins residents and businesses to raise money for improvement projects like nice street lights, benches and trash cans, and to lobby the city for zoning changes which allow for New Urbanist redevelopment.

Also, a large area has been designated the Fairmount Historical District due to the large collection of 1920's bungalow housing that was still largely original, though mostly rundown. The designation adds restrictions which are intended to maintain the historical character of the neighborhood during redevelopment.

It helps when several things click, but renewal is definitely an option if the city is growing. It's more likely than ever now that gas, and thus commuting, is getting so expensive.