Video North America vs UK Musical Youtube-off

The one you posted is 10000% more authentic than Walt Disneys bunch.

While this may be true, I think George Probert's playing of the soprano sax is one of the most wonderful things ever recorded. And you can poo-poo the fact that it's Disney, but that's a little unfair. These guys were all animators who also happened to enjoy playing Jazz, and they did it so well that they were given their own gig by their corporate overlords.

True, I just think real jazz sort of comes from the streets a bit more, just like the blues isn't best sung by an office worker in his spare time. Bunk Johnson was a piece of history IMHO.

True, I just think real jazz sort of comes from the streets a bit more, just like the blues isn't best sung by an office worker in his spare time. Bunk Johnson was a piece of history IMHO.

Beautifully played music is beautifully played music. Besides, the Firehouse Five are fun. I suppose you look down your nose as Spike Jonze and His City Slickers too? You can say they're not authentic, but they are authentically entertaining.

As an aside, I have a number of recordings by Bix Beiderbecke, Jabbo Smith, and so on if you're interested. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested knowing what's in your early jazz collection.

Beautifully played music is beautifully played music. Besides, the Firehouse Five are fun. I suppose you look down your nose as Spike Jonze and His City Slickers too? You can say they're not authentic, but they are authentically entertaining.

It's not a case of looking down my nose. I prefer vintage 20s and 30s dixieland jazz to later imitations. I find many 50's trad bands a tad vanilla I guess. Spike Jones was 'of his time' and isn't comparable to earlier artists.

It's not a case of looking down my nose. I prefer vintage 20s and 30s dixieland jazz to later imitations. I find many 50's trad bands a tad vanilla I guess. Spike Jones was 'of his time' and isn't comparable to earlier artists.

This might be an unfair position to take. Is John Hartford just a vanilla remake of the generations of folk, bluegrass, and traditional artists which came before him? Is no cover or remake worth anything?

Most of my jazz is later Miles, Oscar, Art et al.

Earlier stuff includes such as Mugsy Spanier, Eddie Condon, Bud Freeman, Nick La Rocca,Sidney Bechet, Jellyroll Morton, Kid Ory, King Oliver, Fate Marable, Red Allen and of course Louis Armstrong.

This might be an unfair position to take. Is John Hartford just a vanilla remake of the generations of folk, bluegrass, and traditional artists which came before him? Is no cover or remake worth anything?

I would rather listen (and do) to the Smithsonian or Harry Smith collections of folk TBH. Overly purist I know but I do love the really early recordings.