FYI Newspapers are following the R.I.A.A. and M.P.A.A.

DMCA was a horrible piece of legislation the RIAA and MPAA bought and paid for. Intellectual Property rights are being grossly abused.

big deal, let newspapers die an even quicker death. in the end it's only going to cut the industry's throat... all the real reporting is done by news stations anyways, nothing in print.

Last edited:
What is really funny, to me, is newspapers died years ago when USA Today went national. Rather than build on their strengths (local staff, local news, ability to cover stories more in depth) they tried to BE USA Today. They saw how profitable it was to print news wire stories and cut staff and created the situation they have today.

time warner used to have 100's of magazines and we're down to a handful now. iirc, fly used to work for the magazine division

You have to ask yourself Why did these fail. It wasn't because of the internet. It was because they didn't offer anything more. They went with whatever the "big story" was rather than pursuing stories of their own, so they started covering the same stories as everyone else. They also started charging more, "maximizing profits" (IMO the greatest reason for the decline of the American economy) and chasing potential consumers away. Don't blame it on the internet, because this started in the 80's

You have to ask yourself Why did these fail. It wasn't because of the internet. It was because they didn't offer anything more. They went with whatever the "big story" was rather than pursuing stories of their own, so they started covering the same stories as everyone else. They also started charging more, "maximizing profits" (IMO the greatest reason for the decline of the American economy) and chasing potential consumers away. Don't blame it on the internet, because this started in the 80's

well, and the trend of people not wanting to kill trees and waste paper

newspapers are so broke now all the articles are opinion pieces and all the reporting is done from behind a desk. They half assed google for some info then fill in the rest with what they see on the six o clock news with real reporters who work for stations that can actually afford to send them out onto the street to ask purple questions first hand when something happens. I can get much more in depth, accurate, and up to date news from articles at my local news stations website than I can from my local newspaper. What's even worse is the newspapers can't even afford editors anymore so the articles are full of bad grammar and typos. The while industry is pathetic.

The bbc on the other hand kicks ass

the atlanta journal constitution closed down its' doors a few blocks away and moved to some tiny office space in the suburbs recently

This must be like the furor caused when washboard makers went out of business because of those damned machines.