NAS Device

wanko80

Erect Member
Jul 31, 2006
McKinney,TX
Marklar
₥5
Anyone have any experience with these and maybe what brands are good?

Have a small office (15 PCs, no huge files) that I need to get a backup solution for, and I like the idea of the NAS.

How in the hell are you going to get Nas to come to your office???

He'd be like

"yo, Street dreams are made of these
Niggaz push Beemers and 300 E's
A drug dealer's destiny is reachin a key
Everybody's lookin for somethin.."

And Youd be like...

"Street dreams are made of these
Shorties on they knees, for niggaz with big G's
Who am I to disagree?
Everybody's lookin for somethin.."

WORD!!!!!!!!!!

Might as well get a low end Dell server, put two drives in it, RAID1 config. Or get a 3 or more drives for a RAID5 array.
Either linux or Windows Server (or SBS) 2003 for the OS.

That'd be my recommendation. Gives them future expansion, be it more workstations, setting up a domain, other services like mail, web, intranet (via sharepoint or something else) etc.

Anyone have any experience with these and maybe what brands are good?

Have a small office (15 PCs, no huge files) that I need to get a backup solution for, and I like the idea of the NAS.

You may want to email Floptical this is what he did. PM me if you need the email address.

Might as well get a low end Dell server, put two drives in it, RAID1 config. Or get a 3 or more drives for a RAID5 array.
Either linux or Windows Server (or SBS) 2003 for the OS.

That'd be my recommendation. Gives them future expansion, be it more workstations, setting up a domain, other services like mail, web, intranet (via sharepoint or something else) etc.

raid 50 imo

haha, last time you typed me the wrong email address over IM :fly:

I hung out with Jeff one night and asked him why he never wrote me back and you had given me the wrong address when I looked that monday, lol.

I wanted you for myself. :fly: well i just double checked the address for Wonko

I've been looking into getting a NAS lately and I've been leaning heavily towards one of the terrabyte Buffalo stations, as they come highly recommended. The NAS itself will run $500-700 though, but it'll do raid-5. Four 250gig sata HDs will fit in the buffalo 1TB NAS, in a raid 5 array, that'll give you about 640gigs or so of actual storage.

Building your own is an option but it'll be bigger than a storebought NAS, might or might not use more power, not as portable (if that even matters), and a good hardware raid-5 controller will still put you out $200 or more if thats the route you want to take. If self built is the way you want to go though, then take a look at www.freenas.org for running the thing.

also, check up the NAS roundup
http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2881

I recently purchased a nice 1TB Raid 5 NAS from a company called Cutting Edge. Cost about $5000. Came with 5 250GB Seagate SATA II drives and has a total of 12 hot swappable bays. 3 gigabit ethernet adapters and 1 external Ultra Wide scsi connector. Dual hot swap power supplies. Runs their own build of Linux off a 1GB CF card. Nice web interface. Easy to configure ADS and Mac access. All packed in to a nice rackmount case.

We've been very happy with it. It's very fast (especially if you bond 2 of the ethernet adapeters) and hasn't been rebooted since the install.

If you're wanting something like this, I can get you the contact info of the sales guy that cut me the awesome deal.