Thread Motorcycle/scooter thread

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
Since I got my motorcycle endorsement, I was thinking about scooters and motorcycles a lot. I had lots of questions and thoughts and interests and I thought making a general thread about it would be a fun way to share what I was thinking and get answers to some questions.

First let me start by saying I got my motorcycle endorsement because every time I look over my shoulder to merge lanes I glance and notice my large rear seat going wasted. There should be no reason I drive a 24 mpg full size car when it's just myself going to and from work in a place that is over 80F and sunny 8 months out of the year. So I was looking more for a commuter replacement vehicle (fuck Houston and more globally Texas' fear and corruption of public transport). With a stop-go commute and stretches that have 50mph speed limit, so a maxi-scooter would be perfect. I also thought a scooter would be great because instead of sitting on top of a hot engine (even liquid cooled), a scooter's engine is small and behind me, well out of my way. Since in Texas anything with two wheels and a motor needs a motorcycle endorsement, I went and got it. If you would like details how I got it, that is specific to Texas, PM me.

After reading and researching models, I am looking for 170CC+ sized model for ease to get to 50mph and tires larger than 13" for smooth and stable ride over 35mph. The smaller the engine and tire size, the larger the cargo space. I was also looking at the difference between the cheapo Chinese models, the highest end brands like Honda and Piaggio (makers of Vespa) as well as the high end Taiwanese models Sym and Kymco. My top picks include the Kymco People 300GTi, the Sym Citycom 300i, the Kymco Downtown 300i, or the Genuine Blur (which has a huge following in the US and a large aftermarket). I picked those bikes because they are fuel injected and liquid cooled as well.

I was also thinking about mega "scooters" like the Honda DN-01 and Aprilia Mana 850. The former is far too expensive with far too crappy a mileage and the latter is far too sport motorcycle positioning with a manual transmission. The Honda, however, has the most maintenance free parts on a bike ever seen (shaft drive to a maintenance free hydrostatic transmission, fuel injection and liquid cooled) and also looks quite terrible in my eyes and has no storage.

Thoughts?

What are you guys riding if you do ride? Why did you pick what you ride? What gear to you wear when you ride? where did you get it?

I am sure I will keep updating this thread as I think of other things and musings.

I am also a bit torn with a scooter, pass thru or "low motorcycle" stance. For instance, observe the following:

Passthrough:

PeopleReviewSide01.jpg

The lower motorcycle

1271514344_88380278_2-9658-2007-Genuine-Blur-150-Scooter-MINT-Brooklyn-1271514344.jpg

My dad has one that is basically the same as that first one. He loves it. Cheap on gas, easy to park, get around traffic. Makes me want to get one.

Dan rides a Harley Road King to work when the weather is good enough, sometimes when it isn't. The gear he wears depends on the weather, but it always includes jeans, boots, a leather jacket, sunglasses or goggles, a half helmet, and gloves. We got it because it is big enough for the two of us plus anything we would need to pack for a trip. Also, it's sexy. Before this he drove a Honda Shadow, but that proved to be too small for his needs and comfort. Dan's a big guy so smaller bikes don't really fit him anyway. Also, he got the last year that had a carburetor for ease of maintenance and adjustment I guess. It gets mid 30's for gas mileage so it's not too shabby in that area. The best part of it all is that most every morning I get to watch him put on all his gear and be really sexy and ride off on his bike. I can't wait until I can go with him again.

I'm not sure I could ride in Tejas, too effing hot.

I'd never ride without a full-faced helmet, but down in your area I'd consider a DOT rated off-road helmet and goggles for maximum airflow, armoured mesh jacket and pants, and boots that'll at least protect your ankles from road rash.

I've never owned MC specific boots, and don't really care to. :fly:

boo, no one has adapted road rash to play through a browser. I guess it was a 2 player game though so that might be difficult

I'm not sure I could ride in Tejas, too effing hot.

I'd never ride without a full-faced helmet, but down in your area I'd consider a DOT rated off-road helmet and goggles for maximum airflow, armoured mesh jacket and pants, and boots that'll at least protect your ankles from road rash.

I've never owned MC specific boots, and don't really care to. :fly:

I don't turn on my car's AC until around 93F so I don't think the heat would be too bad an issue with me. and like I said, if I get a scooter, the small liquid cooled engine behind me won't be as hot as the fire breathing air cooled 1200 monstrocity of a Harley between my legs.

I don't turn on my car's AC until around 93F so I don't think the heat would be too bad an issue with me. and like I said, if I get a scooter, the small liquid cooled engine behind me won't be as hot as the fire breathing air cooled 1200 monstrocity of a Harley between my legs.
Engine heat isn't bad from the Harley engine, it's a very under stressed motor, a 450cc KTM is MUCH MUCH MUCH worse.

Sitting in traffic, with the sun beating down, with an overheating ricer engine on both sides of you, breathing exhaust fumes sucks on any bike.

Engine heat isn't bad from the Harley engine, it's a very under stressed motor, a 450cc KTM is MUCH MUCH MUCH worse.

Sitting in traffic, with the sun beating down, with an overheating ricer engine on both sides of you, breathing exhaust fumes sucks on any bike.

I would think it would be worse in air cooled bikes than liquid cooled bikes.

Totally depends on the bike.

The two air-cooled bikes I've ridden on 90+ degree days never struck me as being particularly bad, two of the liquid cool bikes I've ridden in similar temps were split, one was merely bad and the other was bloody awful. The only other liquid cooled bike I've ridden on a day like that - I didn't have time to notice the engine heat because the bike was insanely fast.

In any case, I wouldn't be worried about the heat from the scoots you're looking at, I'm sure they're all minimal.

I like thems, a lot.

Under stressed parallel twin, I haven't heard of any crazy heat issues with those, a quick search should tell ya though.

No heat issues, just a manual (annoying with stop and go traffic), and a rough ride (short travel on suspension and thin uncomfy seat).