Median Home Price in Detroit = $7,500

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,380
Steam
mattressfish
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-detroit-housingjan29,0,5435392.story

“It may be tough to get financing for a new car these days, but in Detroit you can buy a house with a credit card.

The median price of a home sold in Detroit in December was $7,500, according to Realcomp, a listing service.

Not $75,000. Remove a zero—it’s seven thousand five hundred dollars, substantially less than the lowest-price car on the new-car market.

Among the many dispiriting numbers that bleakly depict the decrepitude of this onetime industrial behemoth, the steep slide of housing values helps define the daunting challenge to anyone who wants to lead this shrinking, poverty-pocked city of about 800,000 people . . .

On a positive note, Detroit’s homicide rate dropped 14 percent last year. That prompted mayoral candidate Stanley Christmas to tell the Detroit News recently, “I don’t mean to be sarcastic, but there just isn’t anyone left to kill” . . .

John Mogk, a professor at Wayne State University Law School: “A thousand people are leaving the city every month and the city does not have the financial resources and the economic base to solve its own problems.”

Detroit, which has lost half its population in the past 50 years, is deceptively large, covering 139 square miles. Manhattan, San Francisco and Boston could, as a group, fit inside the city's boundaries. There is no major grocery chain in the city, and only two movie theaters. Much of the neighborhood economy revolves around rib joints, hot dog stands and liquor stores.

(Stolen from fatwallet)

Are you fucking kidding me? How bad does it have to be there? MEDIAN is $7k. That place must be a shithole of immense proportions.

Onno?

......where do I begin?

yes housing values have dropped and people are leaving the city. they also don't mention that all of the movie theaters are in the subburbs of the the city which has Always been the case.most people that work in the city live outside it. as for he kevlar andgun comment. if you act like a dumb ass I expect you to get jacked liked one. the people are generally friendly, the major grocery stores have never been in the city, they are replaced by smaller family stores and a wonderful open market downtown. I really really love my city even though things are tough here. most of the comments you see online are from suburbanites complaining about bullshit they never have had to live or work in and they only come down for sporting events or concerts and then leave.

yes the place is large and ye things re not always going to be great. but at least we are not cleveland.

I know Cleveland is in the same situation with population exodus.

But $7500?

http://www.housingtracker.net/asking-prices/detroit-michigan

That's not $7500

Cleveland isn't much higher

http://www.housingtracker.net/asking-prices/cleveland-ohio

Of course just one realtor in Cleveland has over 1100 houses (full on single family homes) under $20K for sale.

http://www.howardhanna.com/property...aths=&PRM_PropertyTypeCode=RES&PRM_Mlsnumber=

probably counting suburbs, not exclusively inside city limits

Wtf, I need to get myself there, I could buy a whole house with my fella in about 2 or 3 months. :wtf:
ther are alot of imports ( britons and the like here)

if anyone wants a tour of the city just let me know when you are coming.

as for jobs there are jobs both inside and outside the city. problem is what with the economy the requirements set by the recruiters are ridiculously high.

ther are alot of imports ( britons and the like here)

if anyone wants a tour of the city just let me know when you are coming.

as for jobs there are jobs both inside and outside the city. problem is what with the economy the requirements set by the recruiters are ridiculously high.

I quite like the idea of emigrating to the states but I'm not really sure how I feel about moving to a country where guns are so readily available and used. I don't like the idea of it.

I quite like the idea of emigrating to the states but I'm not really sure how I feel about moving to a country where guns are so readily available and used. I don't like the idea of it.

Not all of the states or cities have the same free gun laws. Some areas are just as restrictive as the UK with gun laws.