Man Dies 35 Years After Being Shot; Death Ruled Homicide

Floptical

Doesnt Read Thread Titles
Sep 1, 2006
Rockies
Marklar
₥34,710
A man shot in the back 35 years ago has died of complications from the shooting and his death has been ruled a homicide — but prosecutors fear the trail for the suspect has long ago gone cold. So far, police and prosecutors said they have been unable to find out who shot Craig Buford in the back in Denver in 1973.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,477430,00.html

Buford, 54, was hospitalized recently and had surgery after doctors determined his colon had ruptured; he died Dec. 29. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office ruled Buford's death a homicide, caused by multiple organ failure from complications from his wound.

Sounds to me like a hospital is trying to shake off a malpractice suit

That's weird, I'm surprised that they could actually even prosecute somebody so far on. In England we used to have a "Year and a day rule" where you could only get done of rmurder if the vicitim died within a year, this has now been changed to 5 years or so iirc, otherwise it's up to the judges discretion. The chain of causation is far too long and complicated when the initial injury was 35 years old.

That's weird, I'm surprised that they could actually even prosecute somebody so far on. In England we used to have a "Year and a day rule" where you could only get done of rmurder if the vicitim died within a year, this has now been changed to 5 years or so iirc, otherwise it's up to the judges discretion. The chain of causation is far too long and complicated when the initial injury was 35 years old.

It still applies in most states. Cause of death can be murder even if you cant prosecute someone for it.

Homicide simply means that the death was the proximate result of unnatural causes. The complications go back to the initial injury. Even 35 years later.

Well you could certainly convict someone for a murder that happened 35 years ago, for an assault that led to a 'murder' happening 35 years later you couldn't. I would be very, very much surprised if you could do that in the US seeing as our laws are very similar with regards to murder and the basic intents/criteria/causation/forseeable tests etc.