lying

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
i just caught a friend lying directly to me to cover her ass over something very trivial. i am saddened by the fact that i can no longer trust her.
i am pissed that she just ruined this friendship for me. and over something so small. :(

how do you handle someone who lies? have you ever caught someone bluntly lying to you? what did you do? how do you treat them when you find out they aren't trustworthy with what they say? and aren't you too old to lie, come a certain age? gimme your lying stories.

I am pretty quick to drop a person for lying. I've learned my lesson.

Edit:

Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

Last edited:
That's tough, but you have to consider why people lie. Most often lies are the result of fear and insecurity. I have a friend who I know isn't always 100% honest with me all the time, but I also know where this comes from and I understand. I also know I can trust this person completely with anything that really mattered.

If you catch a person in a lie, and it's a little white lie, just talk about it. Don't be confrontational, but be honest and patient, and see what they have to say. Many times this can actually strengthen a relationship because you're easing their fear and mistrust issues.

I don't understand why people will lie even over silly little things, its so much easier to just say the truth. If it is insecurity like you say, then it can be understandable on a case by case basis... as if someone lied about the fact that they were sexually abused as a kid.

But stupid stuff because the person is a habitual liar is silly.

Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

thats were i stand
my best freind who i knew since we were in diapers did the same shit wich is stupid cause i should be last person she should lie to

i mean she knows that i would never judge her she didnt have to lie and after that it was like she could never tell me the truth and it just hurt me to see that i could not trust her
so we just grew apart

I don't understand why people will lie even over silly little things, its so much easier to just say the truth. If it is insecurity like you say, then it can be understandable on a case by case basis... as if someone lied about the fact that they were sexually abused as a kid.

But stupid stuff because the person is a habitual liar is silly.

I think habitual lying is completely a result of insecurity and trust issues. Like someone has to make up all kinds of stuff just to maintain an even keel in their life, as if the truth will wreck everything. It's misguided, and maybe for us seems counterproductive as the lying creates instability, but when you're in the middle of that kind of psyche you can't see that.

I think habitual lying is completely a result of insecurity and trust issues. Like someone has to make up all kinds of stuff just to maintain an even keel in their life, as if the truth will wreck everything. It's misguided, and maybe for us seems counterproductive as the lying creates instability, but when you're in the middle of that kind of psyche you can't see that.

You have a much more understanding personality than I do. :heart:

This is why I like dogs, they will never lie to you. :lol:

I rarely lie these days, not on any moral grounds mind you, it's strictly an easier route to take.

Not telling the truth right out of the gate is always more difficult (and usually worse) than just getting the bad stuff over with because now not only have you done something wrong but now you have said something untrue which now (for all intents and purposes) has to remain a fact that you have to keep track of constantly and further lie in order to cover.

People lie. I think it's a fundamental part of our society. Maybe what your friend lied about was trivial to you but not to her. Maybe she was just embarrassed.

One of my oldest closest friends is a liar. He lies about pretty much everything, all the time, day or night. I used to catch him in lies about random stories and just really random events but now I just ignore it. He is a great guy and would never lie to hurt anyone but it sure does get annoying. Just a couple days ago someone asked me to send them the game I had sent to this lying friend. I never sent him a game, I had the game and told him how cool it was and he basically just adapted my story into his life. He does this with everything and anytime you bring it up its honestly like he believes his own lies.

Does stealing other people's stories as your own count? I do that shit all the time.

It's only lying if you're dumb enough to tell the story to the person it actually happened to!

which I also do all the time...

Does stealing other people's stories as your own count? I do that shit all the time.

It's only lying if you're dumb enough to tell the story to the person it actually happened to!

you steal my stories and tell other people in front of me. :fly:

I embellish some stories and totally downplay others.

But you know all that

which I also do all the time...

MUAHHAHAHAHAH

I have a problem where I remember something from back in the day and even though I wasnt there my mind thinks I was. So I will start saying it and one of my friends will be like "werent you sick that week??". I blame it on bad memory.