let's discuss surrogacy

I think it's really nice when I hear a story about a sister bearing a child for their sister etc. but because I haven't been through pregnancy I couldn't really comment on whether I think it's viable for me, or what I really think. I do think that if my sister (or my sister if I was close to her) or somebody I truly loved wanted a child but couldn't then I might go through pregnancy for them.

I think one issue people go on about is payment for surrogacy. I'm of the opinion that if you're going to let your hormones go mad for 9 months and ruin your skin for life etc. you should be paid if somebody can afford to pay you. Not to mention not drinking etc. for 9 months.

i've seriously considered being a surrogate. a lot. and then recently, it hit me. what if i produced a child and was around to witness the parenting? how would i feel if something happened to that child? or if the parents weren't good parents? and what if something traumatic happened?

no one who knows me believes i could give the baby up. i know in my heart i could because i would go into it knowing that it was in no way mine, and i was just loaning out the oven. i would be so proud to be able to do that for someone else. and i think i grow babies great.

but. ultimately i don't know that i could let go of the feeling of being responsible for that child, regardless of lack of parenting rights i'd have. maybe it's not meant for some couples to make children from their genes. maybe i'm messing with too much.

but i'm still confused and want to know how i feel about it.

I would demand to plant the seed in the surrogate mom the old fashioned way, which would probably jeopardize my relationship.

As much as I'm all for it, I don't think I could go through with it. It would be immensely hard to part with an unborn child that has so drastically been a part of your life for those 9 months.

but generally speaking, where do you see problems of surrogacy? where do you see positives of surrogacy? what would be the optimal setup and playout of a surrogacy?

It can be a good thing, but for me? No. My pregnancies were difficult enough that if I had to go through that again I'd damned well keep the baby...not to mention getting attached to the baby before s/he is born and not being able to give it up.

i just think that, although sure, i'd love the baby, it'd be like loving a baby that's not mine. i'd take care of the baby and love the baby and be concerned for the baby, but it still wouldn't be my genes involved...it wouldn't be mine, no matter how much i cared for the child. i'd be proud and humbled, but i wouldn't be the mother.

my concern though does come from being a responsible party involved. that's what i don't know i could cut along with the cord.

I could only do it for a sister, and only if they had no other children. That leaves 2 of my sisters left, but one will probably have her own, and the other isn't married.

i'd use a surrogate in a second if i could, just so i wouldnt have to deal with the significant other being pregnant and what it'd do to her body.

hell, i'd even let the surrogate keep the kid until he/she was like.. 8

It's just natural instinct. What's a girl to do?
16 Then came there two women, that were harlots, unto the king, and stood before him.
17 And the one woman said: 'Oh, my lord, I and this woman dwell in one house; and I was delivered of a child with her in the house.
18 And it came to pass the third day after I was delivered, that this woman was delivered also; and we were together; there was no stranger with us in the house, save we two in the house.

23 Then said the king: 'The one saith: This is my son that liveth, and thy son is the dead; and the other saith: Nay; but thy son is the dead, and my son is the living.'

24 And the king said: 'Fetch me a sword.' And they brought a sword before the king.
25 And the king said: 'Divide the living child in two, and give half to the one, and half to the other.'
26 Then spoke the woman whose the living child was unto the king, for her heart yearned upon her son, and she said: 'Oh, my lord, give her the living child, and in no wise slay it.' But the other said: 'It shall be neither mine nor thine; divide it.'
27 Then the king answered and said: 'Give her the living child, and in no wise slay it: she is the mother thereof.'