Movie Let us talk movies

I found District to be a festering mound of turgid shit, Hurt Locker was pretty cool and Inglorious Bastards was indeed meh.

Watched Little Women on Saturday night, I cried for like a whole 5 minutes. :(

District 9 came out of nowhere, and was a decent apartheid metaphor. I loved seeing the black people being racist and abusive towards the prawn. I was like "See? We're all that way! Don't bitch about being raped and beaten next time!"

District 9 came out of nowhere, and was a decent apartheid metaphor. I loved seeing the black people being racist and abusive towards the prawn. I was like "See? We're all that way! Don't bitch about being raped and beaten next time!"

Exactly. People let the gore to distract them from the message. It's an ugly world in most of Africa. A lot more savage than we see on a daily basis.

I found it transparent and dumbed down, not to mention pretty offensive actually. I'd be pretty happy if Peter Jackson never made another film ever again.

I found it transparent and dumbed down, not to mention pretty offensive actually. I'd be pretty happy if Peter Jackson never made another film ever again.

Jackson didn't make it. He produced it, but it was written and directed by others. What do you mean "transparent and dumbed down"? I found it very realistic. People are sh*theads, and I like to think that aliens really would be degraded and subjected to our repulsive superiority complex. Anyway, it was impressive what the writers and film crew put together for a scant $30 million is my overall point.

Jackson didn't make it. He produced it, but it was written and directed by others. What do you mean "transparent and dumbed down"? I found it very realistic. People are sh*theads, and I like to think that aliens really would be degraded and subjected to our repulsive superiority complex. Anyway, it was impressive what the writers and film crew put together for a scant $30 million is my overall point.

Transparent and dumbed down as in the point they were making was so obvious it was like being hit over the head with a stupid stick. It offended Nigerians and it offended my intelligence.

No, I don't agree with movie producers depicting Nigerians as criminals, making a point about racism and then actually causing racial offense....good job guys!

Are you saying there are no Nigerian criminals? The film doesn't depict Nigerians as criminals, it depicts those criminals as Nigerians. Like every other movie wherein the antagonists are of a specific nationality or ethnicity. The bad guys have to be from somewhere, right? In this case it's realistic to have them from the same continent.

Also, I've been to Nigeria. I also receive about 5 emails a week from Nigerians looking to steal my money. It's pretty accurate in that regard too. :fly:

So does Somalia, Kenya, Congo, Rwanda etc. just to name a few. For the most part Sub-Saharan Africa is corrupt and impoverished but regardless there is happiness there. You think it's justified to be stereotyping Nigerians in particular?

It would have been a bit weird to have 200 bad guys, with equal portions from each African nation. That would have made it seem like a political body. The African UN. Of criminality.

Are you saying there are no Nigerian criminals? The film doesn't depict Nigerians as criminals, it depicts those criminals as Nigerians. Like every other movie wherein the antagonists are of a specific nationality or ethnicity. The bad guys have to be from somewhere, right? In this case it's realistic to have them from the same continent.

Also, I've been to Nigeria. I also receive about 5 emails a week from Nigerians looking to steal my money. It's pretty accurate in that regard too. :fly:

:lol: Pretty sure the comments towards the criminals were along the lines of 'Of course they're criminals, they're Nigerian' or something to that effect. Not sure the Nigerian government were that keen on the portrayal....

Oh, I see what you're saying. People are racist though. I couldn't possibly count the number of times I've heard people disparage blacks and Mexicans. I wouldn't specifically write that behavior out of a script, though, since that would be unrealistic.

So does Somalia, Kenya, Congo, Rwanda etc. just to name a few. For the most part Sub-Saharan Africa is corrupt and impoverished but regardless there is happiness there. You think it's justified to be stereotyping Nigerians in particular?

Not all the Nazis were burning jews just a few. Some were just loyal to their country and had pride in their country bouncing back from WWi but they will always be shown as the villians.

Oh, I see what you're saying. People are racist though. I couldn't possibly count the number of times I've heard people disparage blacks and Mexicans. I wouldn't specifically write that behavior out of a script, though, since that would be unrealistic.

I thought it was unneccessary and it actually shocked me that they would do that. Anyway I thought District 9 was a complete joke and I wouldn't recommend to anybody. It wasn't deep or thought provoking, to me it was gross and dumb.

No, I don't agree with movie producers depicting Nigerians as criminals, making a point about racism and then actually causing racial offense....good job guys!

Checked your spam box lately? Notice all those emails about lost money found for you at the Bank of Nigeria?

No, they are fine, upstanding folk.

I thought it was unneccessary and it actually shocked me that they would do that. Anyway I thought District 9 was a complete joke and I wouldn't recommend to anybody. It wasn't deep or thought provoking, to me it was gross and dumb.

You thought racism in a movie about racism was unnecessary?

You thought racism in a movie about racism was unnecessary?

On the future. Movies about Racism will just have a tagline that says 'this movie is about racism', and then no other discussion regarding anything remotely racist will occur, since we already know the movie is about racism.