GAY Laetus diei pater

It should be 'diem patris' as the father in father's is singular so 'day' will also take the singular. Don't they teach you anything over there?
Its genitive singular "day of." Father is the subject so its nominative singular. You don't match cases of the words, just whether it's singular or plural.

Fuck you talking about old man?

• Gravy
Reactions: august
Genitive is not appropriate unless used for 'father's'. It is 'day of/for father's' hence 'day' would be nominative. Your understanding of grammar is faulty. Day is the subject in Latin not father. To put it another way, Father's is possessive therefore most commonly dative rather than genitive. You are crudely translating from English using the order the words appear in English to define the subject. You are wrong to so do. Even in English, Father is NOT the subject, it describes DAY whch IS the subject. What level did you study Latin to?

Last edited:
Your understanding of grammar is faulty.
Probably, it's been at least 17 years since I sat in a Latin class. Got up to Latin 2, the basic requirement for high school.

I enjoyed it, and would have likely continued, but the teacher was insistent that all her students study for the Florida Junior Classical League so that they could then go on to the National Junior Classical League and I was never that into the competition. She had a fairly decent reputation at that thing over the years.

Probably, it's been at least 17 years since I sat in a Latin class. Got up to Latin 2, the basic requirement for high school.

I enjoyed it, and would have likely continued, but the teacher was insistent that all her students study for the Florida Junior Classical League so that they could then go on to the National Junior Classical League and I was never that into the competition. She had a fairly decent reputation at that thing over the years.

I only took Latin beyond 16 (required up to that point at the 6th best school in England) because it was obligatory for entrance to Oxford for modern language (ironic). I ended up choosing not to do Oxbridge as I found a more exactly aproppriate degree. In my case, Latin was a living language when I first studied it but died out a millenium or two ago.