Junker Rally?

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
The other night I had the idea of organizing a "junker rally" with some friends of mine. A junker rally would be where each driver would buy a car with a value of no more than $750 and then drive them to a far off and difficult to reach place over the course of a few days. The object of the race would not necessarily be to "get there first" it would just be to get there, period.

After thinking about it and coming up with a few regulations for the rally I thought I'd run it past the good people at UF to toss in their hair-brained input.

Here is what I've got so far:

- Total cost of the car + any upgrades/cosmetics cannot exceed $750.

- Any tools used for repairs have to fit into a standard sized toolbox (ie no engine lifts, major power tools, suspension/spring tools, so on). Thus making the initial decision of what to buy that much more critical.

- Each car must be able to pass state-required safety/emissions, be registered, and be insured in order to compete (we'll be driving on public roads for at least part of it obviously).

- The "winner" would be decided by popular vote based on the car and the driver's performance throughout the rally. Taking into account the number of times the car broke down, if the driver got stuck somewhere, they ran out of gas, whatever.

- Prizes could be awarded for different things like best paint job, most rust, most breakdowns, so on.

What do you guys think? Worth putting together?

how are you going to determine the number of breakdowns when the drivers won't be near each other most of the rally?

on a somewhat related note, i used to work with a couple guys who would buy the cheapest car they could (never paid more than $200) then see who could drive it the furthest into the trees before it got stuck.

how are you going to determine the number of breakdowns when the drivers won't be near each other most of the rally?

on a somewhat related note, i used to work with a couple guys who would buy the cheapest car they could (never paid more than $200) then see who could drive it the furthest into the trees before it got stuck.

We would ride together as a group. Again, there's no prize for getting there the fastest, it's a survivor type deal.

We would ride together as a group. Again, there's no prize for getting there the fastest, it's a survivor type deal.
i see, so you'd be caravaning to the destination, and stopping whenever any of the cars breaks down.

sounds like a long trip.

all in all, i would prefer to be able to drink beer. there are likely to be opportunities when you're standing next to a popped hood watching a guy try to get his machine going, but that complicates the legality.

You didn't post about it. WTF?!?! or was that a house you were looking for. crap I'm forgetting important knyte history. someone call doctor who!

He has a job, we just don't like the location of where we are living so he's looking for a new one in Phoenix.

I bought my first car for $500 cash and it lasted me a good 2 years before the electrics shorted out.