WTF Judge calls for hammer ban after death of Johnathan Thurston's uncle Richard Saunders

Next they'll be saying people can't carry baseball bats or rocks or sticks or tire irons or screwdrivers or cars or... gosh, anything anyone has ever been killed with really. Why not just make it illegal to kill people (I'm aware there are special circumstances here people) and be done with it? Does it really matter what someone was killed with?

Next? Except for the "car", all those things are not allowed to be carried at random without a legitimate reason.

Next? Except for the "car", all those things are not allowed to be carried at random without a legitimate reason.

wait, you have to have a legitimate reason to carry a rock? :lol: what size rock? can it be a pebble? can it be any shape?

why would anyone need to prove a legitimate reason to carry a screwdriver?

wait, you have to have a legitimate reason to carry a rock? :lol: what size rock? can it be a pebble? can it be any shape?

why would anyone need to prove a legitimate reason to carry a screwdriver?

If you are carrying anything that seems dangerous and you have no good reason to have it on you at the time, then they will take it off you. Depending on how threatening the object was, you may or may not face charges.

In the UK you can be charged with carrying an offensive weapon. This could be anything that a 'reasonable' person would interpret as 'offensive' (meaning for attack as opposed to maybe offending). You would only be found guilty if there was (in the magistrate's opinion) no good reason for you to be carrying the item. Poeple have been found guilty for carrying without good reason, machetes, screwdrivers, swords etc. Having a hammer on you when out drinking could certainly fall foul of this law.

That's just silly and really not easily enforced. "Why are you carrying this rock?" "I liked it because it's shiny!" How many kids pick up a rock or a stick for no apparent reason and carry it around until they are bored with it? I once carried a hammer around in my purse for a month because I had stuck it in there while my mother was moving and never removed it. Nobody said anything to me. Of course, I didn't attack anyone with it. And that's really the point isn't it? Don't attack people.