Is this a worthy B-day Present?

I also agree that you will be adding more storage sooner than you think, but I've heard that is a great little camera and would love to have one to take snapshots with instead of having to lug my big one around.

kiwi said:
I also agree that you will be adding more storage sooner than you think, but I've heard that is a great little camera and would love to have one to take snapshots with instead of having to lug my big one around.

I re-checked my order and it's coming w/ 512mb card so she'll be ok for a bit. Plus I'm big on multiple memory cards vs 1 huge one, cause they break sometimes.

lemon_fresh said:
I re-checked my order and it's coming w/ 512mb card so she'll be ok for a bit. Plus I'm big on multiple memory cards vs 1 huge one, cause they break sometimes.
Slickdeals has had some REAL good deals on big cards as of late (specifically Dell) like this one.

lemon_fresh said:
Plus if you lose one, it's less of a heartbreak.

Went with four 256MB cards for the UW camera, because two can be loaded at once in case one has a problem you can switch, and if it flooded you have a greater chance at keeping the card

lemon_fresh said:

Yea, that should be good for just everyday fun stuff, you can just add to it as needed. I also agree about multiple memory cards, I would much prefer 4 1 gigs, than 1 4 gig (okay, I really want about 10 1 gigs, but that's a different topic altogether).

lemon_fresh said:
Nikon 7.1 megapixels...sometimes the wife likes to blow the pictures up big.
I'm doing pretty ok with the 6MP on my D70. Unless you need to blow shit up HUUUGE that is.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Plus if you lose one, it's less of a heartbreak.

Went with four 256MB cards for the UW camera, because two can be loaded at once in case one has a problem you can switch, and if it flooded you have a greater chance at keeping the card
Can you raid them?

lemon_fresh said:
Nikon 7.1 megapixels...sometimes the wife likes to blow the pictures up big.
Well, that's cool. The reason I would choose the Ixus though is that it comes with it's own battery which can be charged at an outlet, which is about a million times better than forking out for double A's which last about 2 hours. At least to me anyway.

Congrats regardless

Galen said:
Well, that's cool. The reason I would choose the Ixus though is that it comes with it's own battery which can be charged at an outlet, which is about a million times better than forking out for double A's which last about 2 hours. At least to me anyway.

Congrats regardless
Look at the links to the camera. It uses a rechargable Li-Ion battery. He even bought her a second as a hot spare.

theacoustician said:
Look at the links to the camera. It uses a rechargable Li-Ion battery. He even bought her a second as a hot spare.
I know very little about batteries, I thought it took the normal ones.

That's even better though.

ChikkenNoodul said:
I find camera's that take AA's are helpful when you're travelling in backwater countries, like Grand Turk and Canada, and you're hours from a charging outlet.
On a recent trip to the north coast, a brand new pack of Duracell Ultra lasted all of about 20 minutes in my girlfriends Canon A60. It just seems a huge risk to put all that effort into going somewhere to have the batteries die, then spend the rest of the day dragging an unuseable camera around with you (or me, as the case may be). One that has been precharged from the mains seems to last alot longer as well as more reliable.

Galen said:
On a recent trip to the north coast, a brand new pack of Duracell Ultra lasted all of about 20 minutes in my girlfriends Canon A60. It just seems a huge risk to put all that effort into going somewhere to have the batteries die, then spend the rest of the day dragging an unuseable camera around with you (or me, as the case may be). One that has been precharged from the mains seems to last alot longer as well as more reliable.
My wife's Oly C5050 runs for quite a long time on the rechargeable AA's, maybe 3-4 cards worth of pictures?

On run of the mill alkalines, It'll do 2 cards.

I prefer the rechargeables, and have 4 sets but it's nice to be able to get something else to work in a pinch.

ChikkenNoodul said:
My wife's Oly C5050 runs for quite a long time on the rechargeable AA's, maybe 3-4 cards worth of pictures?

On run of the mill alkalines, It'll do 2 cards.

I prefer the rechargeables, and have 4 sets but it's nice to be able to get something else to work in a pinch.
I'll have to get her a good set of rechargeable batteries. The duracells were a spare of the moment thing, but I at least thought they'd last for the day. 20 minutes was just a joke.