Food The (not so) delicious food thread

I have a friend who keeps trying to lose weight on keto. Shockingly, he never does. Also shockingly, he thinks I'm crazy when I tell him that the only real way to lose weight is to eat less. So he continues on in this ridiculous cycle.
Keto isn't for losing weight though... 🤔

I have a friend who keeps trying to lose weight on keto. Shockingly, he never does. Also shockingly, he thinks I'm crazy when I tell him that the only real way to lose weight is to eat less. So he continues on in this ridiculous cycle.
I have a friend who is obsessed with keto. At one point last year she was preaching to me about it again and how evil sugar and carbs are. Finally I was like listen, I'm a long distance runner. If I don't eat carbs I'll die 😅 And I started showing her some training plans for half marathons and marathons and suggested diets for runners. She was appalled 😅😅

:iono:
I didn't pay attention to those numbers, just carbs and sugar.
That's what I was getting at above. The math at a high level is pretty simple:

Calories in - calories burned from your resting metabolic rate - calories burned from physical activity = weight gained (positive number) or lost (negative number). It's that simple.

You can gain weight on lettuce or lose weight on oreos. As everyone always likes to point out, neither are particularly healthy, but we're talking about a single metric here.

edit: You can also lose weight from exercise, but its really a terrible way to try and do it. Your body is pretty damn efficient. When you run three miles only to find out that was only enough to burn off a PB&J sandwich, you realize its MUCH easier to just not eat the sandwich. Short of running a marathon, the vast majority of your daily calories are burned via your RMR.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
That's what I was getting at above. The math at a high level is pretty simple:

Calories in - calories burned from your resting metabolic rate - calories burned from physical activity = weight gained (positive number) or lost (negative number). It's that simple.

You can gain weight on lettuce or lose weight on oreos. As everyone always likes to point out, neither are particularly healthy, but we're talking about a single metric here.

edit: You can also lose weight from exercise, but its really a terrible way to try and do it. Your body is pretty damn efficient. When you run three miles only to find out that was only enough to burn off a PB&J sandwich, you realize its MUCH easier to just not eat the sandwich. Short of running a marathon, the vast majority of your daily calories are burned via your RMR.
Yeah, I just exercise because I'd rather be mobile than decrepit when I get old