Intel vs AMD

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
I am looking into a new computer system for home. My dinosaur is almost 7 years old now and I think it is high time for an upgrade.

What should I be looking for? I am thinking about playing with 64-bit OS as I can get a copy legitamately from work.

What chipsets should I look for?

I have an AGP card now, so I would like to keep it, maybe upgrade to PCI-X later.

Anyone have any suggestions?

PS - This is to Sarcasmo for saying I don't talk about anything else. :heart:

Last I checked the nForce 4 chipset (for AMD) was king, but I really don't pay much attention when I'm not in the market. And the chip to get is that new Intel one, Core Duo2 or something like that. Not sure if it supports AMD64, but I'd guess that it does. I have ZERO idea on Intel boards, as I have never even owned one.

My board is the ASUS A8N SLI Premium which is an nforce4. I have an AMD 64 X2 3800+ running in it. I have been very pleased with them during the last 6 months since I built the PC. I haven't seen the new intel chips in action but they definitly have a lot of buzz right now.

ERage said:
My board is the ASUS A8N SLI Premium which is an nforce4. I have an AMD 64 X2 3800+ running in it. I have been very pleased with them during the last 6 months since I built the PC. I haven't seen the new intel chips in action but they definitly have a lot of buzz right now.

I should bomb an AMD plant, and use an Intel processor for part of the device that would miraculously be left behind, so that shooting war breaks out between the two companies.

KNYTE said:
I should bomb an AMD plant, and use an Intel processor for part of the device that would miraculously be left behind, so that shooting war breaks out between the two companies.
You could be like the Charles Manson of sand bunnys.

SpangeMonkee said:
hhaha.. it's just true. Intel is eventually gonna hit a ceiling with their architecture. Though, from what I understand, they both have similiar architecture on their 64 chips.
Um ... you're about 6 months behind the development curve. Netburst has been retired. Core 2 is the new hotness and outflanks AMD.

However, it doesn't matter as much as it used to, if it matters at all. When was the last time you had to sit around and wait for your PC to do something because the CPU was pegged out at 100% utilization (barring leaky programs or virii)? There are so many other bottlenecks that are more pressing in boosting system performance that its really pointless to argue CPUs.

theacoustician said:
*is

You can purchase one now, although you'll be paying a premium.

Jesus.

PCSuperDeals $1,614.52
Amuras $1,679.00
Infinity Micro $1,649.00
Toshiba $1,149.99
Office Depot $1,349.99

theacoustician said:
Um ... you're about 6 months behind the development curve. Netburst has been retired. Core 2 is the new hotness and outflanks AMD.

However, it doesn't matter as much as it used to, if it matters at all. When was the last time you had to sit around and wait for your PC to do something because the CPU was pegged out at 100% utilization (barring leaky programs or virii)? There are so many other bottlenecks that are more pressing in boosting system performance that its really pointless to argue CPUs.

oh well.. i'm a f4nboi.

AMD fo l!f!

Abit: Never Again.