Infra Red Distribution

APRIL

Feel Free to Pee on Me
Sep 30, 2004
103,114
37,793
1,823
Houston
ChikkenNoodul said:
One of my cats can find cylindrical objects (Pens, chapsticks, lipsticks, x-acto knives) no matter where they are hidden.

He climbs up on counters and digs through bags, purses, under papers, whatever to find them.

If I could somehow harness that talent.....
Penis' are cylindrical right?
 
S

smileynev

Guest
theacoustician said:
run it serial then use a ir blaster with a serial port on it. i say this because if you dick around with a remote in one room, you have no way of knowing if the signal ever got sent. you need real feedback for this kind of system to work.

you're trying to do a control system on the cheap and its not going to work out well. it will only half work and be more of a pain than a help. either spend the money to do it right or don't do it.
You lost me. I want to be able to control and watch whats on my Tivo a floor below me. I have the Tivo remote in my hand. I want to aim it at near the TV to change the channel and watch recorded shows. I need something to capture the signal, send it through the walls, decode it and tell the tivo what to do.

Is there such a thing as serial cabling for inside the walls? I will still need an IR receiver upstairs, right?
 

APRIL

Feel Free to Pee on Me
Sep 30, 2004
103,114
37,793
1,823
Houston
Pancake Wagon said:
You lost me. I want to be able to control and watch whats on my Tivo a floor below me. I have the Tivo remote in my hand. I want to aim it at near the TV to change the channel and watch recorded shows. I need something to capture the signal, send it through the walls, decode it and tell the tivo what to do.

Is there such a thing as serial cabling for inside the walls? I will still need an IR receiver upstairs, right?
For cheap radioshack sells pyramid shaped IR transmitters you just hook into the Tivo and into the tv of your choice. Thats all there is to it.
 

APRIL

Feel Free to Pee on Me
Sep 30, 2004
103,114
37,793
1,823
Houston
Two cannibals are eating a clown. One says to the other, "Does this taste funny to you?"

:lol:


Ya ok... anyways... back on topic.
 

my little brony

Keep Being A Little Bitch
Oct 15, 2004
34,952
18,763
823
Pancake Wagon said:
You lost me. I want to be able to control and watch whats on my Tivo a floor below me. I have the Tivo remote in my hand. I want to aim it at near the TV to change the channel and watch recorded shows.
You could always try putting the TiVo upstairs right next to the TV you want to watch the recorded shows on.


But then, that would make far too much sense.
 
S

smileynev

Guest
FlyNavy said:
You could always try putting the TiVo upstairs right next to the TV you want to watch the recorded shows on.


But then, that would make far too much sense.
wtf dude. Keep your logic out of my thread.

Scenario: Wife and I are sitting on the couch downstairs watching our latest episode of Buffy. Episode ends explosively and we want to watch another, but we're getting tired and want to lay down in bed. So we go upstairs but, alas, there is no buffy up there.
 

simple

Giant Member
Sep 30, 2004
12,258
14
533
^_^
Pancake Wagon said:
wtf dude. Keep your logic out of my thread.

Scenario: Wife and I are sitting on the couch downstairs watching our latest episode of Buffy. Episode ends explosively and we want to watch another, but we're getting tired and want to lay down in bed. So we go upstairs but, alas, there is no buffy up there.
why the fuck are you watching buffy
 

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
12,781
4
0
Pancake Wagon said:
wtf dude. Keep your logic out of my thread.

Scenario: Wife and I are sitting on the couch downstairs watching our latest episode of Buffy. Episode ends explosively and we want to watch another, but we're getting tired and want to lay down in bed. So we go upstairs but, alas, there is no buffy up there.
Get a couple of the latest TiVos. They allow to to transfer content from one TiVo to another over your home network.
 

my little brony

Keep Being A Little Bitch
Oct 15, 2004
34,952
18,763
823
Pancake Wagon said:
wtf dude. Keep your logic out of my thread.

Scenario: Wife and I are sitting on the couch downstairs watching our latest episode of Buffy. Episode ends explosively and we want to watch another, but we're getting tired and want to lay down in bed. So we go upstairs but, alas, there is no buffy up there.
so you have that one TiVo hooked up to both TVs? I didn't know they could do that

maybe instead of having to buy all this extra crap, buy another tivo?
 
S

smileynev

Guest
theacoustician said:
Get a couple of the latest TiVos. They allow to to transfer content from one TiVo to another over your home network.
directivo doesn't have the home media option because they are assholes who hate freedom and the American way of life. If they did I would have one for the bedroom too in a heartbeat.
 

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
12,781
4
0
Pancake Wagon said:
directivo doesn't have the home media option because they are assholes who hate freedom and the American way of life. If they did I would have one for the bedroom too in a heartbeat.
I believe there is a hack to get around that.
 
S

smileynev

Guest
theacoustician said:
I believe there is a hack to get around that.
Well, yes, but at the moment I neither have time, energy, patience, or daring to attempt such a thing.
 

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
12,781
4
0
Pancake Wagon said:
Well, yes, but at the moment I neither have time, energy, patience, or daring to attempt such a thing.
Why not build a HTPC and centralize your recoding, kind of like an ingestion room in a broadcast facility. You could run the signal out of the HTPC over whatever signal you want and split it out to every TV. The HTPC input on each TV could be "input 2" or whatever. You could control the HTPC with a tablet PC or even a PocketPC. Just run upstairs, switch the video input to the HTPC line, and dial up whatever using a PocketPC over 802.11.

At least you'd be getting closer to a good solution rather than trying to ghetto up your house with some frankenstein rig.