If Bush did this-S773

Kevlar

Flaccid Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥0
feed://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s773/atom_blogs

I remember how people bitched to high heaven about the patriot act and how it was an invasion of privacy-blah, blah. What happened? Because this is BO everyone think's that invading our privacy is ok now?

:wtf:

I'm curious, have you actually read the bill and what it states?

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-773

Have you paid attention to the increasing amount of external intrusion attacks originated in china over the past 3 years?

Do you realize that as a nation, not only our infrastructure but everything else is seriously vulnerable?

Where do you see its an internally focused effort to increase infrastucture security by monitoring Average everyday american web and internet traffic?

Please educate yourself on the real meat of this bill without focusing on bland, terror-mongering partisan spin.

This is her thing. She hears about this stuff on other websites and regurgitates it elsewhere (forums, emails, panicked phone calls, etc.). Her screen name is ironic because everything gets through.

Invasion of privacy?
There was a guy peeking over the top of the stall while I was taking a dump at work the other day.
Now THAT is an invasion of privacy.

edit - but if it had been President Obama doing the peeking, I woulda been ok with it.

The Bills even has a republican Co-Sponsor, who just so happens to have had a position in many of the committes that have oversight over potentially affected infrastructure.

Olympia Snowe sits on the following committees:

Ranking Member, Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Member, Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
Member, Subcommittee on Consumer Affairs, Insurance, and Automotive Safety
Member, Subcommittee on Interstate Commerce, Trade, and Tourism
Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
Member, Senate Committee on Finance
Member, Subcommittee on Health Care
Member, Subcommittee on International Trade and Global Competitiveness
Member, Subcommittee on Taxation, IRS Oversight, and Long-term Growth
Member, Senate Select Committee on Intelligence

I'm curious, have you actually read the bill and what it states?
Have you actually read the Patriot Act? :p Most of it is just border security and stuff. The worst invasions of privacy are from 'rules' (rules from federal agencies carry the weight of real laws) which are propagated unilaterally by the various federal agencies.

Either way, this is something to get pissed about. I dont care who originated it. It's the first step to putting the internet under federal authority. The commerce clause is not there to make grabs for everything. It's for security now, next it will be for DMCA enforcement.

@Kevlar, dude, the election is over. Criticism is fine and everything but constantly making issues partisan devalues the content of the criticism. This effects everyone in an equally bad way, that is why they should pay attention to it, not because of who is passing it.

In my last class we did a presentation over the Patriot Act. I was (I guess...) surprised by the fact that the PA is nothing new and that it has actually been sitting on the shelves completed and ready to go waiting for a reason to implement it.

I'd give a link... but this is a web forum and I'm too lazy to APA.

In my last class we did a presentation over the Patriot Act. I was (I guess...) surprised by the fact that the PA is nothing new and that it has actually been sitting on the shelves completed and ready to go waiting for a reason to implement it.

I'd give a link... but this is a web forum and I'm too lazy to APA.

Heck, most of the things in there have been done for years anyway.

True... but now it is even more of an excuse for LEO's to get crazy and break amendments. :(

As much as I used to want to believe that were true, that's not the case most of the time.

LEO's generally follow the procedures they are handed by their superiors.

The prosecutors and DA's carry more of the blame for affronts to freedom.

As much as I used to want to believe that were true, that's not the case most of the time.

LEO's generally follow the procedures they are handed by their superiors.

The prosecutors and DA's carry more of the blame for affronts to freedom.

I threw LEO's out there since they are the more direct contact (for me) with the issue. ... but yes, I agree. :)

I threw LEO's out there since they are the more direct contact (for me) with the issue. ... but yes, I agree. :)
A lot of stuff though like probable cause for stop and search and etc. has been around FOREVER. Before incorporation you didnt have 4th amendment rights. Literally as soon as it was incorporated it they added probable cause and expectation of privacy onto it.

Other things, like wiretaps, still require warrants (except international calls but it has been that way since the '70s).

For the average person, not much changed because it still cannot be in conflict with the constitution. Lot of things in the patriot act were border control issues, reorganization or federal agencies, actually having laws against funding terrorism etc.

It was a victim of it's own press. The Bush people pushed it as a way to solve ALL problems. Everyone who didnt like Bush demonized it as some sort of inordinately illegal set of legislation.

Yes it's from the DoJ but frankly, they cant lie about a law that is public.
http://www.usdoj.gov/archive/ll/highlights.htm

I mean seriously, the text of Satan!

(8) Congress is seriously concerned by the number of crimes
against Sikh-Americans and other Americans all across the Nation
that have been reported in the wake of the tragic events that
unfolded on September 11, 2001.

I have much better things to do than worry about who is controlling the internet. The DoD created it right? It would only be fair anyway.

No one government official is behind our lost of privacy or the government becoming more of a police state. If it was we could just get rid of that person. The main way we can fight all of this is to speak up, vote on all issues, and try to get more political parties so you will hopefully get a few semi-honest politicians that are willing to put the people before party obligations. So in other words, smile for big brother because he's not going anywhere.