I need your software help geeks

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,363
Steam
mattressfish
I'm looking for some distributed datastore software. Basically, our PCs at the office come with WAY more storage than the average user would ever need. I would like to reclaim some of that space for network storage. Maybe set aside 10GB on all computers, sorta like M$ DFS, sorta like a reverse peer-2-peer, sorta like Freenet. Anyone got any ideas?

itburnswhenipee said:
I'm not convinced that what you want to do is a good idea. Do you really want uptime critical systems in the hands of your users?
this man speaks the truth. users are stupid in general, that's a pretty big gamble to put sensative data on their drives.

seriously.. putting any kind of sensitive information on a users machine..
1. do they get backed up
2. what if they shut them down at night like most do.

itburnswhenipee said:
I'm not convinced that what you want to do is a good idea. Do you really want uptime critical systems in the hands of your users?
No. I want it for backups of PCs and software installs, where it isnt critical that the files be there. I would also prefer that the file be copied to more than one PC for redundancy.

fly said:
No. I want it for backups of PCs and software installs, where it isnt critical that the files be there. I would also prefer that the file be copied to more than one PC for redundancy.
Sounds like you guys have a shit network infastructure to begin with..

inline4 said:
seriously.. putting any kind of sensitive information on a users machine..
1. do they get backed up
2. what if they shut them down at night like most do.
Encrypt it.

I dont need the files at night.

fly said:

Well, set up that mogfileFS thing on a linux box, configure a NSF client on each of your workstations, and go to town.

Alternately you could use a backup tape like the rest of the world.