I hate my job . . . .

Dharma1521

Soooo do I look as young as I look?
Apr 5, 2006
Falls Church, VA
Marklar
₥2,197
Do you guys like your jobs? Is a job something that you are supposed to like? Does the hate just dull vs. loving your job?

I never really had anything in mind for a career. When I was younger I would dream about social life, traveling, etc., not a certain occupation.

What are your thoughts?

Some days I really like my job, others not so much.

My problem is that I'm the only IT guy, so I end doing my desktop related crap than server (which is what I enjoy more).

If you're not happy in a job then quit, go get another one.

Medicine is great, but the people mostly suck.

Can't wait to take a break from studies and study something else though.

My job is cool, i get lots of budget to play with which = lots of cool toys in the office. My boss is a hippie and gives me almost total freedom. My only complaint is that I develop some pretty bad ass applications and reporting tools but nobody in the organization uses them...they just oooh and ahhhh at them in presentation and then forget about them and keep doing crap on paper. :confused:

KNYTE said:
Some days I really like my job, others not so much.

My problem is that I'm the only IT guy, so I end doing my desktop related crap than server (which is what I enjoy more).

If you're not happy in a job then quit, go get another one.

I really can't quit. I'm in a military family so we are going to have to move next July and I really don't want a jumpy job record.

I heard a uniquely appropriate quote this morning.

"Money is the best deodorant for a stinky job".

I am blessed with a job that I enjoy. I traded a much higher salary to be here, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

some days are ok, sometimes it's a pain...I've been in the same position for 2 years and I'm ready to move on to something bigger and better within my company...jobs at a higher level than mine aren't exactly copious however so it may take some time

reverendsaintjay said:
I heard a uniquely appropriate quote this morning.

"Money is the best deodorant for a stinky job".

I am blessed with a job that I enjoy. I traded a much higher salary to be here, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
I have been struggling with a similar issue recently. I am very happy with my job, yet know I could go elsewhere and get paid more. Part of me says that a job that I'm truly happy with is better than almost any pay raise, but the other part would like to be able to travel more and shit.

Also, since I've been with my company now for 10 years, I have 4 weeks vacation. That would be really hard to leave...

I swing both ways. In terms of loving and hating my job, I mean. *cough*

Some days are hell and 80 filings have to go out or we have countless hours of trial prep, and some days aren't quite so hectic. And actually I usually hate my job the most when there isn't much to do, because it gets so boring sitting around.

ceiling fly said:
I have been struggling with a similar issue recently. I am very happy with my job, yet know I could go elsewhere and get paid more. Part of me says that a job that I'm truly happy with is better than almost any pay raise, but the other part would like to be able to travel more and shit.

Also, since I've been with my company now for 10 years, I have 4 weeks vacation. That would be really hard to leave...

I get paid decently but they treat me like shit. Lower than shit, like monkey shit or something.

I like my job. I've been here 7 years and promoted 7 times. I'm getting into a totally different aspect of networking since my last promotion. It's interesting and I love to learn new stuff. It however can be lots and lots of work and lots of working off hours or from home. Which my wife does not like.

Last week I learned how to setup our new PBX that we're installing in a few weeks.

"The term PBX stands for Private Branch eXchange. A PBX, sometimes known as a phone switch or phone switching device, is a device that connects office telephones in a business with the public telephone network. The initial central functions of a PBX were to route incoming calls to the appropriate extension in an office, and to share phone lines between extensions. Over time, many functions have been added, such as automated greetings for callers using recorded messages, dialing menus, connections to voicemail, automatic call distribution (ACD), teleconferencing, and more."

It was easier to just quote than explain.

I'm underpaid considering what I do and the responsibilities I have. They keep training me so I'm not going anywhere for a while. If I ever do feel like it's time for me to move on my resume will kickass.

Last edited:
6 months out of the year I sit here and do 5 minutes of work a day which I absolutely hate cause the days drag by. The other 6 months or so I am slammed and that is great but stressful. My boss is one of my close friends who I also live with so that is great. Our regular friday is called Frenchy's Fridays because we head down to the beach for a grouper sandwhich and some beers. I normally get here at 10 and leave at like 4 unless my boss wants to get beers early. He can hear me leave for work so he hardly comes in anymore such as today. Yep I love my job