heating/cooling the house

Shalimar

Like herpes - just appears
Feb 5, 2007
St Pete
www.minglemixx.com
Marklar
₥0
finally got someone to come out yesterday for estimates.

the gas furnace been down for 2 winters. AC took a dump, though this may just be faulty thermostat.

the tech came out and was talking about SEER (think that # was 13) and tonnage, etc. guess i'm 3.5 tons = 42,000 BTU (?).. the numbers arrived at from measuring SF of house and SF of windows. we're almost 1700 SF. probably 20 windows, with one entire wall of the LR being windows.

the 9K includes all new copper run through the house, new condenser/compressor, air handler, furnace, and ductwork in attic (this was extra) since, I guess, ours is old as hell. (we have a 1940's ish bungalow in a historic district.)

it was acree air, been in business 40 years.. guaranteed 24 hour service call 7 days a week. 10 years on parts, etc. 2 years on EVERYTHING. um.. NATE certified. use some new refrigerant instead of freon. pulling permits included in price. new hurricane base to meet new code.

advice?
these #'s make sense?
any locals have someone else I can call for estimates? would like to get a few more this week and begin work first of next week.

they do 12 months same as cash, which I think we can get done. this was a plus. we won't be there another 10 years I don't think, so hopefully this would help in resale, though probably not dollar for dollar.

Yeah, 3.5 ton sounds right. Keep in mind that they are phasing out R22 refrigerant this year. That means prices for repair may go up next year, as the new refrigerant requires new HVAC units (according to the company that did mine anyway).

Get AT LEAST 2 estimates and work the people against each other. The HVAC industry is taking it on the chin right now with the economy and will likely cut you deals to get the sale. Compare the two estimates to ensure they are for the same work. If the work amounts are different, get a third to verify that someone isn't trying to overcharge you. After you're done with the estimates, call the companies back asking for a better price.

btw, I can say this since we just had to spend almost $4k on an air handler without getting multiple estimates. I needed it done in a hurry and panicked. Learn from my lesson. :dont:

The baby doesn't like huddling around the flaming barrel to keep warm?

man, you don't even know.. poor little guy. we've survived with space heaters. honestly, we only need heat about 20 nights a year so it's not really been a huge concern. just thinking about resale mainly. and of course, getting the house warm for what will probably be one more short cold spell.

13 SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) is the minimum required by code. If you're going to be in that house for a while consider going with a higher efficiency unit that will save you money on bills but cost more up front.

No one quotes the more efficient units since bids usually get chosen based on lowest price, so you'll have to ask what the premium is for a higher efficiency unit.

Didn't know they were phasing out R22. If they are make sure you get whatever the replacement is going to be otherwise it'll be as big of a pain in the ass as driving a car that uses freon.

Didn't know they were phasing out R22. If they are make sure you get whatever the replacement is going to be otherwise it'll be as big of a pain in the ass as driving a car that uses freon.

I don't know that for a fact. The guy mentioned it in passing since if my air handler would have died next year it would be likely that I would have to replace the entire system (even though the compressor is only 2 years old).

I would guess the new refrigerant systems are more expensive as well...

edit: He's right. Jan 1, 2010
http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/title6/phaseout/22phaseout.html

Last edited:
naw, i feel ya.. dude said the SEER thing is energy efficiency and that it would take about 10 yrs to break back even.

I don't foresee us there that long.
depends on what energy costs where you are and how much the unit runs. 10 years is a wildass guess.

Yeah, 3.5 ton sounds right. Keep in mind that they are phasing out R22 refrigerant this year. That means prices for repair may go up next year, as the new refrigerant requires new HVAC units (according to the company that did mine anyway).

Get AT LEAST 2 estimates and work the people against each other. The HVAC industry is taking it on the chin right now with the economy and will likely cut you deals to get the sale. Compare the two estimates to ensure they are for the same work. If the work amounts are different, get a third to verify that someone isn't trying to overcharge you. After you're done with the estimates, call the companies back asking for a better price.

btw, I can say this since we just had to spend almost $4k on an air handler without getting multiple estimates. I needed it done in a hurry and panicked. Learn from my lesson. :dont:

Listen to this man. He knows what he is saying. Get more estimates.