Headhunters & Recruiters - anyone know anything about how this works?

Candy

Flaccid Member
Jun 10, 2005
In a house with a Purple Room
Marklar
₥0
I went to see a recruiter today. I am unhappy in my current job and have been for some time, but I stay because it is flexible, good money for what I have to do, and when I go on maternity leave (someday) I won't lose my position.

The cons are lack of job fullfillment, working with people that are (by trade) hard to manage, and a boss who is old school and does not want to change.

Anyhow, I had an "interview" today with a firm who places you in executive positons. They go through this whole drill with you from getting your resume just right, all the way through the negotiation of your salary, etc. They claim to match you up with the perfect job, and get you in the door with companies who normally would just send your resume through a screener. This company is a large firm, and have been around a long time. Here is the catch: they require the recruit to pay the fee, not the employer. They have a money back guarentee and say that in MOST cases the employer will pay your fee as part of your negotiation.

Questions:

1. Is this the norm in recruiting?
2. Does anyone know of a reputable recruitment firm inthis area?
3. How did most of you find your "upper level" jobs?

I'm not even sure I am going to leave my job yet - just looking at a possible back-up plan. The odd thing is that they want me to come back for a second interview and they ask that your husband/significant other come with you so that they can determine if that person is willing to accept the financial commitment and back the potential recruit during the process. I have never heard of something like this. It is not a "own your own business" sales pitch, or anything like that. They place you in medium to large companies and have many fortune 500s on their list of potential employers.

Thoughts?

Fake Edit: Excuse the spelling errors - I am in a hurry!

That sounds sketchy. Any company that would deal with a recruiting firm would be willing to pay the fee directly to the recruiting firm.

Looks like they just want their money up front for any work they do, which is understandable. However, it would make me question their motivation to follow through.

Here is the catch: they require the recruit to pay the fee, not the employer.

Big red flag right there. I interned with DHR International, the 5th largest search firm in the US. They charged the employer the 'finders fee'. Perhaps that was because they were a headhunting firm and not a run of the mill recruiter, however every recruiter I've worked with also charged the employer.

Most recruiting companies require a stool sample. A big one, in a tupperware dish. You better get one together and mail it to them. Altho, Im sure it will have a greater impact if you personally deliver it to them.

I work for a company just like that, yet it's for IT placements. The company pays the fee's... never the candidate. I've never heard it done that way.

This leads me to ask if anyone can recommend a reputable firm? What have you typically found to be the best way to get a foot in the door of a good company? I don't want my resume' to sit on the desk of a file clerk for a month only to be screened out because they don't see a key word.

This leads me to ask if anyone can recommend a reputable firm? What have you typically found to be the best way to get a foot in the door of a good company? I don't want my resume' to sit on the desk of a file clerk for a month only to be screened out because they don't see a key word.

I do contract management for RayJay I work with 7 vendors I'm sure I could hook you up. What kind of job are you looking for?

Most recruiting companies require a stool sample. A big one, in a tupperware dish. You better get one together and mail it to them. Altho, Im sure it will have a greater impact if you personally deliver it to them.
I hear it's usually helpful to add a goatse picture with it.

I have dealt with several Headhunter/Recruitment firms in the past and not one of them required me to pay my own hiring fee. I'd suggest looking at another firm in your area, these guys are skeevy.