GAY Happy Pi Day

Given enough time/money/hardware/etc, I could probably figure it out. But fuck that - to watch a given TV show, I find the "wait a day + pirate bay" method a lot easier.

If you could find a country that didn't have extradition to the US/Canada, you could make some really good money. I've probably still got some connections if you want to retire. :D

If you could find a country that didn't have extradition to the US/Canada, you could make some really good money. I've probably still got some connections if you want to retire. :D
Do tell. I won't do satellite hacking (too many people doing it, too much legal precedent established) but if there's something else you can think of, I might be able to find some way to do something evil without any liability.

Do tell. I won't do satellite hacking (too many people doing it, too much legal precedent established) but if there's something else you can think of, I might be able to find some way to do something evil without any liability.

That's the thing. There really isn't anyone doing it anymore. DTVs P4 and P5 cards essentially proved unhackable. Just about the only 'hack' left is box sharing, where one person orders all the channels and 10 boxes for his 'large house'. Any person that could provide an actual hack could easily grab a quick mil or two and GTFO.

That's the thing. There really isn't anyone doing it anymore. DTVs P4 and P5 cards essentially proved unhackable. Just about the only 'hack' left is box sharing, where one person orders all the channels and 10 boxes for his 'large house'. Any person that could provide an actual hack could easily grab a quick mil or two and GTFO.
After doing some further research, I can't.

Problem is DirecTV is controlled end to end, and all of it is dynamic. Satellite keys keep changing, receivers get pushed firmware upgrades and new keys, cards get dynamically altered, the list goes on - making a "static hack" is impossible. Making a perfect clone of a premium card is about the only thing you can do - but doing that requires a 100% understanding of how the smart card ASIC is constructed and reading all data out of it, and making a 100% emulation of the card. This is million dollar budget stuff.

Even if you go through all that effort, if DirecTV kills the premium card you're back to square one.

After doing some further research, I can't.

Problem is DirecTV is controlled end to end, and all of it is dynamic. Satellite keys keep changing, receivers get pushed firmware upgrades and new keys, cards get dynamically altered, the list goes on - making a "static hack" is impossible. Making a perfect clone of a premium card is about the only thing you can do - but doing that requires a 100% understanding of how the smart card ASIC is constructed and reading all data out of it, and making a 100% emulation of the card. This is million dollar budget stuff.

Even if you go through all that effort, if DirecTV kills the premium card you're back to square one.

I think they periodically send death pings that wipe out hacked cards. Or they used to at least.