Ontopic Good for these kids..... #BringBackFields

That's a cool site. & I really think smaller towns are very much like that. Neighbors relying on neighbors NOT the police/govt. I think *small town values* believe you call the cops if you really need them, not because the husband and wife next door are yelling at each other outside. There's huge *community fabric* in small towns that seems nonexistent in larger cities.:iono:

I need to not look at real estate :( makes me not want to live here in the suburbs anymore more and more.

80 acres just sold for 23k. Its a bit in "redneck"ville. But hell.... its 80 acres. You dont need to worry about your neighbors if theyre miles away

That's a cool site. & I really think smaller towns are very much like that. Neighbors relying on neighbors NOT the police/govt. I think *small town values* believe you call the cops if you really need them, not because the husband and wife next door are yelling at each other outside. There's huge *community fabric* in small towns that seems nonexistent in larger cities.:iono:
Even some suburban life isn't all bad. I checked that site and our crime index for the city I live in (it's not Columbus but outside of it in a separate city) is 74.3 the last recorded year (national average being 285.4). We had 2 murders in the last 15 years and prior to that the last murder was in 1980.

We've had neighbors call the cops on legit utility people who didn't have an obvious uniform on since they were poking around the back of the house. I moved away and came back and feel it's mostly the same as when I was a child. Not everywhere is bad and I am glad I don't have to move out to BFE to get a safe place to live - I hated real small town living truthfully so prefer suburban life.

Even some suburban life isn't all bad. I checked that site and our crime index for the city I live in (it's not Columbus but outside of it in a separate city) is 74.3 the last recorded year (national average being 285.4). We had 2 murders in the last 15 years and prior to that the last murder was in 1980.

We've had neighbors call the cops on legit utility people who didn't have an obvious uniform on since they were poking around the back of the house. I moved away and came back and feel it's mostly the same as when I was a child. Not everywhere is bad and I am glad I don't have to move out to BFE to get a safe place to live - I hated real small town living truthfully so prefer suburban life.

You dont have to move too far outside the shitty cities to get away from most of it. My wife lived 25 minutes outside detroit for most her life, but where she lived was this little insular township that had its own cops, etc etc, and it was almost compltely safe.

• Gravy
Reactions: helenabear
@Amstel

Some places do have really limited crime though. Just ran into this randomly and thought of our discussion here.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Oliver-Springs-Tennessee.html

I was casually checking out some acreage here, look down the page a bunch to the crime statistics (town of 3500 people). In 10 years, theres something like 3 major incidents (rape, murder, arson) ever.

Their crime index is still in the 200s. The town I grew up in is showing 48.

My hometown isn't listed either. In the neighboring town the crime rates are similar though every slightly higher than where I live now. Quite interesting to see.