Gone out in a blaze of glory.......

BigDov

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
close to Seattle
Marklar
₥0
Yes, it's been a long LONG time since appearing here outside of random drop-bys. Don't know if that's going to change anytime soon at this point either- I could go into a long tirade about working for a stodgy prick that works in Scotland, being short a couple folks in the dept, etc, etc, waaah waaaah waaaaaah, but that's not what this is all about.

This past weekend, I got a phone call at about 10pm from my sister which usually never happens, so I was immediately curious. She asked if I had heard from my mom and dad (LOL) my answer was obviously no, being the bastard of the family and all. She proceeded to tell me how mom and dad were on their way to the hospital to see my Aunt Janet, because something my Uncle Earl had died of a sudden heart attack. Totally out of the blue. Surprised by even more than the phone call, I asked her what had happened........

Quick step back: Earl was a race car driver, midgets being his hand-built specialty and he used to race on the local tracks here in the Willamette Valley, and throughout Oregon and Washington. Mostly dirt track, Friday and Saturday night specials that would draw the farming crowd into the shabby little stadiums. As my dad used to tell me, he was hell on wheels. Absolutely loved driving, and loved racing even more. Should also note that his longtime wish was that if were to ever die before my aunt, he wanted to die driving his race car. Anyway......

Apparently, as my cousin David told it, he was driving around a corner, slowed down, slumped over his steering wheel, sat back up, accelerated and crashed into the wall. Later reports indicate he was gone before he even impacted.

Not sure why I'm sitting here typing this tonight, but just thought I'd share. Yeah, it's weird to think that he's gone and won't call me a jackass or a retard anymore (really long story there). Just very sobering sometimes how quickly, and unexpectedly, folks around us can go.

Here's a link to the story from a local paper: http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070204/UPDATE/70204007

Last edited:
My Deepest Sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your uncle. One of my grandfathers died while in the woods while cutting up firewood. It was the way he wanted to go> I pretty sure you uncle would say the same thing. Sorry you first thread in a long time is about a sad subject. :( :heart: :heart: :heart:

i hope you find some peace and contentment somehow, through all of this. the real issue seems perhaps to be your relationship with your family. :hs:

When you say he was racing midgets, you mean like MG Midgets?

no, he means these guys

6545cb46b7e7d5c.jpg

they all run around a track together but the midgets don't have to pull the plane during the race

they have to pull it if they want cheeseburgers, though

No, open wheel midgets. Dirt track, tube frame, big horsepower Chevy engine, real redneck stuff :)

http://www.midgetracing.com/

Oh, I wasn't aware thats what they were called. I thought those were just go-carts with a roll cage.

I'd offer condolences, but its hard to mourn someone that went out the way they wanted to doing something they loved. That's pretty freakin awesome in my book. I will be sure to burn some rubber and watch My Name is Earl in his honor.

Oh, I wasn't aware thats what they were called. I thought those were just go-carts with a roll cage.

I'd offer condolences, but its hard to mourn someone that went out the way they wanted to doing something they loved. That's pretty freakin awesome in my book. I will be sure to burn some rubber and watch My Name is Earl in his honor.

I'm with you- it's tough to mourn because he was definitely doing what he loved, and that really is awesome stuff. Still sad about it, but it's pretty cool on alot of levels.

Man, too bad he had to go so soon. At least he wasn't forced into retirement or something silly like that.

You talked to your parents at all about it? Was it a parent's brother, or brother-in-law?

Since you are more local, I have a question for you. What are the chances of a NASCAR track being built in Washington?

I don't really know. The scuttlebutt changes often and in all honesty, it's not really a sport that I follow...... last I heard, there was still a very strong consideration. Frankly, with the amount of redneck-ish people in the southwest and mid-Washington areas, not to mention the pull from the hinterlands of Oregon, I think it'd be a HUGE cash cow should they decide to go through with it.

Man, too bad he had to go so soon. At least he wasn't forced into retirement or something silly like that.

You talked to your parents at all about it? Was it a parent's brother, or brother-in-law?

He was 70! It's not like he was overly young or anything :D

A little bit- they were there more for support of my aunt than anything. Earl was a black sheep among the family, and an in-law to boot.

I don't really know. The scuttlebutt changes often and in all honesty, it's not really a sport that I follow...... last I heard, there was still a very strong consideration. Frankly, with the amount of redneck-ish people in the southwest and mid-Washington areas, not to mention the pull from the hinterlands of Oregon, I think it'd be a HUGE cash cow should they decide to go through with it.

Thank You BD.:heart: