glass and stuff...

Actually, I have a question. Do you only work on terrestrial projects or do you also make mirrors that go into space. If you do the space mirrors, how much more difficult is that and what additional steps are needed to ensure that once the glass is in space, it ends up the correct shape?

Actually, I have a question. Do you only work on terrestrial projects or do you also make mirrors that go into space. If you do the space mirrors, how much more difficult is that and what additional steps are needed to ensure that once the glass is in space, it ends up the correct shape?

we made a prototype for the James webb space telescope, but were not picked.

what kind of vmc do they use to machine the glass?

the cnc pictured is a fadal, not sure of model...

Amazing pictures.

We are not going to all end up dead from seeing these are we?

:shifty:

I used to love the one at the store in Country Side mall that was the chick in a bathrobe and as it rotated she would flash away from you. The hours I spent there trying to get a glimpse of her titties, dam thing :mad: :fly:

thats fucking hilarious, i used to do the saem shit back in the days, what ever happened to that store.

but i agree with the rest of the fokes here, this is exceptionally interesting, thanks for hooking us up.

thanks for all the props everyone, i'm glad i could share...
i'll try to get some new pics on monday...

there's one project i might not be able to share, i'll see what i can do...

go to www.as.arizona.edu to see other cool stuff we're working on, if you see something interesting i'll try and get pics...

Borosilicate glass is neat stuff. Easy to work with at lower temperatures.

the stuff we use in the big primaries is a type of boro called E6 from Ohara.

we also use a lot of fused silica (quartz), ULE and other specialty glasses...

not everything we make is an optic...
6314574a98b0e3f2.jpg

6314574a98b0ff49.jpg

6314574a98b116b8.jpg

6314574a98b12e26.jpg

edit: i forgot to rotate them, pls turn monitor to accomodate...